Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Link :: Privacy Policy

Background

(With permission of Lynsted with Kingsdown Parish Council)

First Minute Book 1894 - 1932 - (transcribed by Maggie Goodwin).
Second Minute Book 1933 - 1968 - (transcribed by Pip Baron).

Index

Summary

1. LGA 1894 - Rural Parish Councils

2. Early Years - formation to the death of Queen Victoria

3. George V to the threat of War

4. Through WW1 to 1932 (end Minute Book 1)

5. 1933 to the end of WW2

6. 1945 - 1949: Recovery measures begin

7. 1950 - 1959: end of rationing and recovery moves forward

8. 1960 - 1968: Cold War & public building programme

1945 - 1949: Recovery measures begin

Minute Book 2: pp48 - 77

August 31st 1945 [p48-49]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the Schools on Friday 31st August 1945 at 7.30 p.m. There were present Mr F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Mr A. Pilcher, Dr Selby, Messrs Taylor, Thomas, Wildash. W. R. Dixon & the Clerk. The Minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. The Chairman stated that the Teynham side of the main road was being lit at night; but not the Lynsted side, and that this meeting had been called to discuss the matter. The Clerk gave a résumé of events connected with lighting from 1937 onwards. After some discussion it was prop. by Mr DixonSec Mr Pilcher & carried. That the Clerk be instructed to write to the K.E.P.Co to ask if an appointment can be made for representative of the K.E.P.Co to see if the matter can be straightened out. The Clerk reported that there had been no response to the offer of allotments rent free where the plots had been overrun with weeds through being vacant. Prop. Mr Thomas, Sec Mr Pilcher & carried: That the vacant allotments be again advertised & that if there be no response the occupied plots should be grouped & Mr French approached to have the vacant land taken back into the field. The Clerk reported that nothing had been done as regards finance for some considerable time but that an audit was being held in September after which time the accounts would be kept up to date. F.W. Dalton September 21st 1945 Chairman (Signed)

September 21st 1945 [p49-51]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held on Friday Sept. 21st 1945 at the Schools at 7.30 p.m. There were present. Mr F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs Brice, Bull, Pilcher, Taylor, Thomas, Wildash & the Clerk. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. The Clerk read a letter from K.E.P.Co agreeing to meeting representatives of the Parish Council at the Co.’s office in Sittingbourne on Sept 12th at 3.30 p.m. It was reported that after consultation with the Chairman, Mr Thomas, Mr Dixon & the Clerk had fulfilled that engagement. Mr Thomas reported on the meeting Mr H.J. Knell represented the K.E.P.Co [Kent Electric Power Company] & stated that the Council’s letter of June 1941 had been left unanswered deliberately. The Co were under the impression that the Lighting Inspectors had been a sub-committee of the Parish Council & that there was an attempt to avoid payment of maintenance & other charges for the period of the war. The delegates corrected this impression, pointing out that the Lighting inspectors were an independent & legal body appointed under the Lighting & Watching Act of 1833. Mr Knell also corrected a wrong impression formed by the P.C. The charge of £4/11/2 per quarter was not a war-time maintenance charge, but was a gradual paying off of the original capital outlay, plus a small charge for maintenance. In the end the delegates expressed the opinion that the P.C. should assume the liabilities of the Lighting Inspectors, pay the outstanding account of £82/1/=, & afterwards sign a contract as originally proposed. Mr Knell was asked to have the street lights put on & this he promised to do next day. This he had done. Mr Thomas then proposed that the action of the delegates be confirmed. This was seconded by Mr Bull & carried. Proposed Mr Thomas, Sec Mr Wildash. That Street lighting period be from one hour after sunset until 10.30 p.m. & that these times be reconsidered when the fuel supply was more normal. Prop. Mr TaylorSec. Mr Pilcher that the time be extended until 11.0. p.m. The amendment obtained half votes & the Chairman gave casting vote in favour of the original proposition which was thus carried. Prop. Mr BullSec. Mr Pilcher & carried. That the Teynham P.C. be informed of what this P.C. proposed as regards street lighting times with a view to obtaining uniformity of action. The Chairman expressed the thanks of the Council to the delegates for the time & trouble they had spent on this matter. The Clerk reported that three insertions had been ordered, advertising the vacant allotments, but that there had been no response to date. Mr Bull drew attention to the forthcoming Thanksgiving Savings Week commencing Nov. 24th 1945, pointing out that in most places either the Urban District Councils or Parish Councils were the organising bodies but that in Teynham & Lynsted this matter had been left in his hands entirely. Prop. Mr Bull, Sec The Chairman & carried. That this P.C. approach the Teynham P.C. with a view to making a combined effort in organising the Savings Week. The Chairman signed the Financial Statements & Allotments Statements for the years ending March 31st 1944 & 1945. A precept on general account for £20 was signed. F. W. Dalton - April 15th 1946 Chairman (Signed).

April 15th 1946 [p52-53]

The first meeting of the new Parish Council elected on March 11th 1946 was held at the School on Monday 15th April 1946 at 7.30 p.m. There were present:- Messrs Baker, Brice, Dalton, Pilcher, Wildash, and the Clerk. Prop. Mr A Pilcher, Sec Mr A Wildash & carried unanimously. That Mr F. W. Dalton be re-elected Chairman. This begins Mr. Dalton’s 21st year as Chairman. The Chairman read a letter from Mr W.S. Thomas regretting his inability to be present; expressing a wish to propose Mr Dalton as Chairman; and stating that he did not wish to be nominated as Vice-chairman. Nevertheless the Chairman proposed & Mr Pilcher seconded & carried unanimously. That Mr W. S. Thomas be re-elected Vice-Chairman. The Clerk was asked to notify Mr Thomas. The Clerk was also unanimously reappointed. The minutes of the last meeting of the old Parish Council were read, passed & signed. The Clerk read a reply from the Chairman of the Teynham P.C. (1)Agreeing to the times of street lighting as suggested by this Parish Council. (2)Deprecating any action which would take the organizing of a “Savings Week” out of the efficient hands of Mr Bull. As Mr Bull has left the area & the “Savings Week” has passed, no further action was taken. The members present signed declaration forms on taking office as Parish Councillors & also specimen signatures for the Bank Cheques were signed:- £12 in favour Mr P. FrenchAllotment rent; £2/4/- Mr H Peters Water Rate. Proposed Mr Pilcher, Sec Mr Wildash & carried: That the Council meet at least once in six months & that the time of meeting be 8.00 p.m. during “Summer Time” & 7.30 p.m. when G.M.T. is in operation. Prop. Mr Pilcher, Sec Mr Baker: That the Clerk write the Swale R.D.C. on the two matters raised at the annual Parish Meeting i.e. (1) The bad state of Lynsted Lane after rain owing to surface water flowing along & across the road; and (2) the unsatisfactory nature of the material used for re-surfacing; the R.D.C. being asked if anything can be done to improve the Lane in these matters. Prop. The Chairman & Sec. Mr Brice & Carried: That the Clerk write K.E.P.Co for information on the possibility of extending street lighting through the village to Erriott Wood Corner, and also with regard to the provision of an extra light at the west end of Greenstreet towards Claxfield. Prop. Mr Brice, Sec Mr Wildash & Carried: That the Clerk write the Swale R.D.C. for information as to procedure to effect the extension of the Lighting area so as to cover the whole parish. The action of the Chairman & the Clerk on Dec 11th 1945, in putting through a precept for £85 for lighting liabilities was confirmed. F. W. Dalton June 18th 1946 Chairman (Signed)

June 18th 1946 [p 54-56]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Tuesday June 18th 1946 at 8.0 p.m. There were present: Mr F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs Baker, Brice, Dixon, Pilcher, Dr Selby, Taylor, Wildash & the Clerk. Messrs Dixon, Taylor & Dr Selby being absent at the last meeting signed the Declaration Book. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. The Clerk reported that he had written to the Swale R.D.C. in accordance with instructions given at the last meeting, but that no reply had been received. It was resolved that the Clerk be instructed to write again to the Swale R.D.C. asking for a reply. The Clerk read letter from K.E.P. Co in reply to enquiries made after the last meeting. This suggested a meeting between the District Engineer & a representative of the P.C. The Chairman met Mr Fairbank on May 13th & came to the conclusion that lighting right through the village was a large operation & Mr Fairbank stated that owing to the work entailed & materials required it would be some considerable time before this could be undertaken, other work having priority. However the lighting at the west end of Greenstreet could be improved. Three further lights are required – By Mr Philpott’s, opp. Mrs Clark’s & at Claxfield Corner. The cable is carried on the Teynham side of the main road & this would entail breaking up the road three times, thus considerably increasing the cost. The K.E.P. Co suggested an arrangement with the Teynham P.C. & have the lights erected on the Teynham side of the road. Prop. Mr Dixon, Sec Mr Baker & Carried: That the provision of the three extra lights be approved & that the Teynham P.c. bed approached to see if an arrangement on the lines suggested can be effected. Prop. Mr Dixon, Sec. Mr Brice & Carried: That the K.E.P. Co be informed that the P.C. is very anxious that the lighting should be carried through to Erriott Wood Corner. It urges that every preliminary possible should be made in preparation for the time when the work can be carried out & considers that a canvass would show a high percentage of potential customers. The Clerk read letter to the Chairman from Mr R. C. Ching on his being elected as the Lynsted representative on the Swale. Mr Ching wished to work in cooperation with the P.C. & offer all assistance in his power. Prop. the Chairman, Sec Mr Brice & carried: That a letter be sent to Mr Ching thanking him for the friendly spirit of cooperation his letter evinced & inviting him to attend P.C. meetings whenever possible. The usual notification of meetings would always be sent to him in future. It was also resolved that it was desirable that Mr Andrews, the local County Councillor, should be invited to a P.C. meeting if it can be arranged. The Clerk read a letter from Mr W. S. Thomas saying that he must adhere to his original decision & was compelled to decline the honour of being Vice Chairman. The Chairman stated that in these circumstances Mr Thomas’s decision would have to be accepted. It was resolved that an appreciation of Mr Thomas’s services as Vice Chairman since 1937 be recorded in the minutes. Prop. the Chairman& Sec Mr Pilcher & carried: That Mr S.R. Dixon be elected Vice Chairman. The Clerk read a letter from K.E.P.C. requesting a settlement of outstanding liabilities taken over from the Lighting Inspectors. The clerk reported that the original Lighting Precept of £85 was practically exhausted - £60 to outstanding debt & two quarterly accounts of 10/12/1 & 10/8/10 respectively. Another quarterly account would be due shortly & also an account from the Peace Celebrations Committee – the amount of either of these accounts could not at present be estimated. It was decided to sign cheque for K.E.P.C. & also Precept Form with the amounts blank, these to be filled in later by the Clerk with the approval of the Chairman or Vice Chairman when these amounts were known. F. W. Dalton July 30th 1946 Chairman (Signed)

July 30th 1946 [p56-59]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Tuesday, July 30th 1946 at 8.0 p.m.
There were presentMr F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs Baker, Brice, Pilcher, Dr Selby, Messrs Taylor, Wildash & the Clerk. Mr Ching the Lynsted representative on the Swale R.D.C was also present & was welcomed by the Chairman. The minutes of the last meeting were read passed & signed. Mr Ching said that the R.D.C. would back the efforts of the Parish Council in getting the electric cable through. The Clerk reported that he had written to the Swale R.D.C. & Teynham P.C. as instructed at the last meeting. The reply from the R.D.C intimated that it was not possible to extend the lighting area this year & outlining the procedure to make the plan effect as from April 1st next. The reply from Teynham P.C. agreed with the proposal to erect 3 lights on the Teynham side of the main road. The Clerk however reported that a phone message on or about July 24th from the K.E.P.Co stated that connections were already across the road in 2 cases, & that an estimate of cost would be prepared and sent to the Council, before the work was executed. The Clerk reported that nothing had been done regarding the blank precept & cheque – nothing had been heard from the V. Day celebrations Committee & the quarterly a/c from the K.E.P.C. (£10 approx.) had only been received on the morning of the meeting day. The Chairman then invited Mr Ching to give the Council some idea of the plans of the R.D.C with regard to housing, with special reference to the way they concerned Lynsted. Mr Ching first explained that there were 3 housing schemes in existence.
Scheme I. Lynsted had been allotted 4 houses & these were the Swedish timber houses now in course of erection. These would cost approx. £8,000 & were to be let to agricultural workers.
Scheme II. Lynsted had been allotted 34 houses – 20 of these were to be erected in the near future & were to be of the Airey type of prefabricated concrete construction. Of this 34, 20 were for agricultural workers & 14 for other tenants. Mr Ching then gave numbers of houses allotted to other parishes & compared this number with the population. As an example:- Lynsted was allotted 3.6 houses per 100 population Bapchild 13. Mr. Ching then demonstrated by means of a B.Bd plan, his idea of how the houses should be sited & this was highly approved of.
Possible sites in the parish were next discussed including one owned by Mr. P. French in Mill Lane, now planted with blackcurrant, and one owned by the Exors. of John Thomas on the Doddington Rd., now pasture. After some discussion it was proposed Mr. Pilcher Sec. Mr Brice and carried: That in the opinion of this Council, the reservation for agricultural workers of 24 houses out of a total of 38 (i.e. 24:14) is too high a number & suggests that 18:20 would be a more appropriate proportion; it is further of the opinion that taking into account the number of houses allotted to other parishes 10 extra houses should be allotted to Lynsted. A cordial unanimous vote of thanks was accorded to Mr. Ching for the trouble he had taken over this matter & the Clerk was instructed to inform the Swale R.D.C. of the opinion of this Council as recorded in the above resolution. Mr R Taylor raised the matter of the condition of the footpath leading from the village to Bumpitt. The Clerk was instructed to write the owners of adjoining property asking them to brush back the nettles etc. which obstruct the path. F. W. Dalton May 30th 1947 Chairman (Signed).

May 30th 1947 [p59-62]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Friday May 30th 1947 immediately following the Parish Meeting which was called for 7.30p.m. There were present:- Mr F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs Baker, Brice, Pilcher, Taylor & Wildash & the Clerk. Mr Ching the parish representative on the R.D.C. was present, as was also Rev. L.E.A. Ehrmann who had been present at the Parish Meeting & who was invited to stay to this meeting. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. The Clerk read letters from the Swale R.D.C. re housing & proportional allotment of tenancies. The latter would be kept in mind; it was not possible to erect any additional houses under Scheme II which had been passed by the Ministry. The point would be considered when Scheme III was determined. Note was taken of the resolutions of the Parish Meeting abandoning the Lighting & Watching Act 1833 for the lighting area as from March 31st 1947 & readopting it for the whole parish as from April 1st 1947. The Clerk reported that he had seen Mr. Dennett the Finance Officer of the Swale R.D.C. & had filled in the blank precept for the maximum amount available i.e. £25 on the Lighting Rate & £30 on the General A/c. With this in the Bank A/c, the Peace Celebrations Committee had been forwarded a cheque for £22.16.5 & one for £27.14.5 had completed payment of the liabilities of the Lighting Inspectors taken over by the Parish Council. £90 would be required during the current year to clear outstanding debts and after that the annual cost of lighting would be approx.. £45. The death of Dr. Selby was referred to by the Chairman & the fact that a vacancy on the Council was thus caused. Prop. Mr. Taylor & Sec. Mr. Pilcher & carried: That Mr Ching be elected to fill the vacancy. The Clerk reported that all the allotments were now occupied. Rents were not being paid for all plots. Acting on permission given by the Council several had been let rent free in order to get them under cultivation. The Clerk presented financial statement for year ending March 31st 1947 which was signed by the Chairman.
The Clerk reported that letters had been sent to owners of adjoining property near the footpath from the village to Bumpitt, as instructed at the last meeting. Mr. Taylor reported that improvement had been effected, but it was nearly time it was cleared again. Some diversion of the path near Hillside was reported. Mr. Ching raised the matter of the efforts of the Welcome Home & Thanksgiving Fund Committee to obtain a playing field for the district. Prop. Mr Ching, Sec. Mr Pilcher & carried: That the Parish Council would be willing to support the WH & TF Committee in the proposal for compulsory purchase of land required for a sports ground, and, in conjunction with Teynham Parish Council, would be willing to assume responsibility for the ground when the Committee had completed the work necessary to make the land usable as a sports ground. The Clerk read a letter from the Hon. Sec. of the local appeal committee for the Soldiers’ Sailors’ & Airmen’s Families Asstn. asking for help by organizing functions in the district to raise funds for this association. The Clerk was instructed to write regretting the fact that all possible organizers in the parish had commitments which precluded their undertaking anything further at present. F. W. Dalton Oct 28th 1947 Chairman (Signed)

October 28th 1947 [p62-64]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Tuesday Oct. 28th 1947 at 7.30p.m. There were present:- Mr. F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs. Baker, Brice, Pilcher, Taylor, Wildash, and the Clerk. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. Letters received in reply to matters arising from the annual Parish Meeting held May 30th 1947:-
i. Lynsted Lane – after making enquiries as to the number of children habitually using the lane to attend school (52) the County Council wrote that attention to the lane was included in the provisional estimate for 1948-49 – Noted.
ii. Parking by Batteries Terrace. Supt of Police wrote that there was nothing to show the ground was part of the highway & no offence was being committed. This reply was considered evasive & it was Prop. Mr Pilcher, Sec Mr Taylor & carried: That a copy of the police letter be forwarded to the Swale R.D.C. as owners of the land concerned, together with a letter pointing out the danger of the practice & asking on whom responsibility would rest in case of accident.
iii. From Swale R.D.C. noting resolutions passed at annual meeting re Lighting Area.
iv. From Swale R.D.C. stating that complaint re refuse removal would be dealt with.
A letter was read from Divisional Education Officer stating that the pre-war usage regarding school managers was being resumed & asking for the names of the two managers appointed by the Parish Council to be forward. A letter was also read from the Chairman of the School Managers asking the Parish Council to consider the appointment of the retiring headmaster to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Dr. Selby. Prop. the Chair, Sec. Mr Pilcher & carried: That the Parish Council agree to this suggestion. As however the retirement of the headmaster has been postponed until Dec. 31st 1947 & the triennial period of appointment of Managers commences on March 31st 1948, it was agreed to nominate the Chairman – Mr. F. W. Dalton – to serve until March 31st. 1948. Notice was received of the intention to apply for the transfer of the licence of the Swan Inn from Mr. F. W. Linley to Mr. H. Auckland on Nov. 6th. It was agreed to acknowledge receipt of the notice, at the same time stating that the P.C. had no objection. The matter of street lighting was discussed. The Clerk read letter from Ministry of Transport on the necessity of economy in this matter. After some discussion it was. Prop. Mr Pilcher, Sec. Mr Baker & carried: That street lighting be resumed immediately in the whole of the Lynsted lighting area with the exception of Cellar Hill; that the lighting of the main road be carried out in conjunction with Teynham P.C. & that the K.E.P. Co. be asked to treat this as a matter of urgency. It was also resolved that the lighting hours be from Car Lighting-up Time to 11.00p.m. It was also resolved that the K.E.P.Co. be asked if any progress had been made with regard to the scheme for the lighting of Lynsted Lane & the Village. Attention having be (sic) drawn to the fact that Mr. W. S. Thomas had not attended a Parish Council meeting since his election in April 1946 & that Mr. S. R. Dixon had also not attended for a considerable period, it was resolved that the Clerk should write to each, pointing out these facts & asking them to indicate their intentions. Cheques were signed as follows:- Mid Kent Water Co. £2.4.0; Mr. P. French£12.0.0. Precept for £105 was also signed - £90 on Lighting Rate & £15 on General Rate for preservation to Swale R.D.C. F. W. Dalton October 5th 1948 Chairman (Signed)

October 5th 1948 [p64-66]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Tuesday Oct 5th 1948 at 7.30p.m. There were present: Mr. F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs Baker, Brice, Dixon, Pilcher, Taylor, Wildash & the Clerk. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed.
The Clerk reported that the only reply from the R.D.C. regarding the parking of vehicles outside Batteries Terrace had been one saying that enquiries were being made. Prop. Mr Pilcher, Sec. Mr Baker & carried. That the Clerk be instructed to write to the R.D.C. stating that the practice was still pursued; asking if any steps had been taken in the matter; & requesting a reply to the P.C.’s query as to the responsibility in case of accident. Prop. Mr DixonSec. Mr Brice & Carried: That Mr Ching be informed of the intentions of the Parish Council with regard to the above. It was decided that the Clerk should discuss the matter of School Managers with the Rev. Ehrmann. It was decided that Monday was the most convenient evening for P.C. meetings & that the next meeting should be held on Monday March 7th 1949 if no earlier necessity arose. The Clerk reported on correspondence:
(1) Mr Thomas had acknowledge receipt of letter re meetings. Mr Dixon had replied & was present. (2)Ministry of Fuel & P. on necessity of restricting street lighting. (3)Minist. of Health Town & Coun. Planning – Council land not liable for development charges. (4)Minist. of Health. Allowances payable to members of Council for expenses incurred. (5)Swale R.D.C. requesting a return of allotments in the Parish. This had been answered. (6)Notification of transference of licence of “Dover Castle” Inn. It being reported that the houses on the new building site were being wired for electricity & that there was a possibility of a new transformer being installed, it was Prop. Mr Brice, Sec. Mr Pilcher & carried: That a letter be sent to the South Eastern Electricity Board drawing attention to correspondence between this Council & the K.E.P.Co. regarding the provision of street lighting through the village of Lynsted, and requesting that if electricity is to be supplied to the new housing estate, consideration be given to the installation of such a transformer that it would be possible to provide electricity for street lighting & domestic use along Lynsted Lane & through Lynsted Village. The Clerk presented Financial Statement & Allotment Accounts for year ending March 31st 1948, and both were signed by the Chairman. Cheques were signed as follows:- (1)Mr P. FrenchAllotment Rents£12.0.0; (2)Mr. H. PetersWater Rate & Repairs£2.13.0; (3)K.E.PLighting A/c£83.18.2; (4)ClerkSalary, Audit etc.£16.11.3; Precept on the Swale R.D.C. was signed:- £10 on the General Rate; £45 on the Lighting Rate; F. W. Dalton March 14th 1949 Chairman (Signed).

March 14th 1949 [p67-71]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Monday, March 14th 1949 at 7.30p.m. There were present:- Mr. F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs Baker, Brice, Ching, Dixon, Pilcher, Taylor, Wildash & the Clerk. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. The Clerk read letter from the Swale R.D.C. stating that the matter of parking vehicles outside Batteries Terrace was now a matter for the County Council & saying the P.C’s letter had been passed on. Also a reply from the County Council saying that the land in question was considered part of the highway & that the police had been asked to take any necessary steps. It was reported to the meeting that the placing of kerbing by the K.C.C. had ended the matter. The Clerk reported that there had been no communication re School Managers from the Rev. Ehrmann. Correspondence was read which led to a meeting on the site, of the S.E.E.B District Engineer & Messrs Brice, Pilcher & Sykes re extended lighting of Lynsted Lane. Later a quotation of £35/5/= for the erection of 3 extra lights mounted on the Board’s poles in positions shown on accompanying plan was received & now presented to the Council. The sub-committee who had met the engineer were all under the impression that an agreement that a minimum of 4 lights were required, had been reached. Prop. Mr PilcherSec. Mr Dixon & carried: That the S.E.E.B be informed that the provision of a fourth light by Vigo Terrace is necessary & that if the Board furnish a further quotation for four lights at a proportionately increased cost the Chairman be empowered to accept on behalf of the Council. Prop. Mr Dixon, Sec Mr Brice & carried: That existing lights in Cellar Hill at present disused for economy reasons be brought into service again & that the S.E.E.B be asked to effect this. A letter from the Kent Asstn of Parish Councils was read re the coming review of county districts by a Government Boundary Commission & advising that application be made to the R.D.C for permission to send a representative to the separate consultations. A letter from the R.D.C inviting representatives to a meeting at Sittingbourne was read. This was to explain to the P.C’s concerned the intentions of the Swale R.D.C. with regard to the review of boundaries. Messrs Brice & Dixon attended this meeting where information was given that extension claims by Sittingbourne & Faversham would practically extinguish the Rural District & explaining the R.D.C’s counter-proposals which would take in part of the Hollingbourne R.D. A further letter was read from the combined Urban Councils of Faversham & Sittingbourne stating that each was claiming extensions which would take in the Parish of Lynsted & asking the Parish Council’s opinion as to:- (1)Should Lynsted remain in a R.D; (2)If the Commission decide that Lynsted should be included in an urban district would Faversham or Sittingbourne be preferred by the inhabitants; Prop. Mr Dixon, Sec. Mr Ching & carried: That application be made for the Council to be represented at the separate consultations. Prop. Mr. Dixon, Sec Mr Pilcher & carried: That the wishes of the parish be ascertained at the annual parish meeting before a reply is sent to Faversham & Sittingbourne. The Clerk reported that Mr P French wished to divert a footpath crossing one of his fruit plantations, but it was decided that the P.C. had no power to take any action. Mr Ching presented a letter re provision of telephone kiosks in the parish. Prop. Mr Ching, Sec Mr Pilcher & carried: That kiosks are required at Erriott Wood Corner & by the new housing estate in Lynsted Lane, the former being the more essential. Mr Ching undertook to forward this reply. It was decided that the annual Parish Meeting be held on Monday March 28th. It was reported that bus drivers unfamiliar with the route frequently failed to stop at the Fox Inn. Prop. Mr Dalton, Sec Mr Ching & carried: That a request be sent to the Traffic Superintendent at Maidstone for official stop signs to be erected at the Fox Inn for both the up & down routes. It was reported that the morning despatch from Teynham post office left before the post office was opened so that parcels could not be sent unless posted the previous day. Prop. Mr Pilcher, Sec. Mr Wildash & carried: That a request be sent to the Head Postmaster at Sittingbourne asking for better facilities to be provided for the morning despatch of mail. It was reported that traffic through Lynsted village & along Lynsted Lane proceeded at dangerous speeds. Prop. Mr Brice, Sec. Mr Taylor & carried. That the County Council be asked to extend the “Thirty” speed limit to include all Lynsted Lane & through Lynsted village.
Cheques were signed as follows:- S. E. Electricity Board £23.4.10; Mr P. French £12.0.0; Mr P. Sykes £6.4.10; Correspondence was read regarding the 1949 election of parish councils under the new act. It was reported that agreement with the suggested date – May 10th – had been sent & that the Clerk of the R.D.C had been appointed the Returning Office & that no further action was required by the Parish Council until instructions were received from him. F. W. Dalton April 11th 1949 Chairman (Signed).

April 11th 1949 [p71-73]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Monday April 11th 1949 at 7.45p.m. There were present Mr. F. W. Dalton in the Chair. Messrs. Baker, Brice, Dixon, Pilcher, Taylor, Wildash & the Clerk. Also present were a large number of parishoners (sic) including Prince & Princess Andrew, Sir Harold & Lady Macmichael, Mr & Mrs Heaver the Rev Reeve. The Chairman explained that it was an ordinary P.C. meeting, but one item to be decided affected every parishoner (sic) & he would welcome their cooperation. The ordinary business would be taken first & then the matter of the Boundary Commission would be dealt with. The minutes of the last meeting were read passed & signed. Arising from the minutes:-
(1)The Clerk read letter from the District Engineer of the S.E.E.B agreeing to bring into use the Cellar Hill lights & also to furnish a new quotation for supplying 4 lights in Lynsted Lane. (2)A letter from the Maidstone & District Bus Co. saying “Stop” signs could not be placed at the Fox Inn but that instructions had been given for drivers to pick up passengers there. Prop. Mr Pilcher, Sec Mr Wildash & carried: That a further letter be sent to the Bus Co. asking for a reconsideration of this matter & asking if there were any reasons why the signs could not be erected. (3)A letter from the Head Postmaster at Sittingbourne stating that he was arranging a despatch from Teynham P.O. at 9.15a.m. (4)An acknowledgement of letter from K.C.C re speed limits in Lynsted Lane. The minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting were read to open a discussion on the Boundary Commission. The Clerk reported that a ‘phone conversation with the Clerk of the Swale R.D.C gave the information that the Parish Council as such would disappear if amalgamation with either of the Urban Councils were effected. A Letter from the Town Clerk of Sittingbourne indicated that there was a probability that Parish Councils would be retained to act in an advisory capacity. The Chairman then asked if any of those present would like to give their opinions. The Rev Reeve opened the discussion by urging the retention of the ancient status of the village quoting the example of Birchington which had been absorbed by Margate. The administrative rights of the Parish Council once lost would never be regained. Small units were at a great disadvantage & urban interests would predominate. Mr French stated that Teynham P.C. had unanimously decided to express the wish to retain rural status. Mr Heaver & Sir Harold Macmichael both supported the Vicar’s contentions. Prop. Mr Dixon, Sec Mr Heaver: That the inhabitants of Lynsted wish to remain as a parish in a rural district. This was carried unanimously. Prop. Mr Dixon, Sec Sir Harold McMichael (sic): That if the Boundary Commission decides that Lynsted must be incorporated in either of the Urban Districts, the inhabitants of Lynsted would prefer inclusion in the Faversham area. This was also carried nem. con. It was explained that the reason for prefering (sic) Faversham was that Sittingbourne was mainly an industrial town with industrial interests, whereas Faversham still retained a large amount of rural interests. The Chairman thanked those present for their attendance & interest. The Vicar cordially invited the new Parish Council to attend a Church Service as soon as possible after the election. Cheque in favour of S.E.E.B for £10/15/4 was signed. S. Roper Dixon 30th May 1949 (Signed)

30th May 1949 [p74-75]

The first meeting of the newly elected parish council was held at the School on Monday May 30th 1949 at 7.30 p.m. There were present Messrs Brice, Dixon, Pilcher, Taylor, Wildash & Wyles. Apologies were received from Messrs Andrews & Miles, while Mr Ching was away from home. The Clerk temporarily took the Chair for the election of a Chairman. Mr A.W. Pilcher & Mr S. R. Dixon were each proposed as Chairman & the vote was in favour of Mr Dixon who then took the Chair. The Clerk read the Minutes of the last meeting, & sufficient members of the old Council being present the minutes were confirmed & signed. The Clerk read:- (1)Letter from Kent County Council saying that subject to confirmation by the Ministry of Transport “30“ speed limits would be imposed along Lynsted Lane & through Lynsted Village (2)Letter from Maidstone & District Bus Co. saying that after reconsideration they adhered to their decision not to erect “Stop” signs at the “Fox”. (3)Letter from District Engineer of S.E.E.B. re the provision of four lights in Lynsted Lane enclosing an amended quotation of £54/6/= as against £35/5/- for three lights. The extra cost to a pro rata increase was caused by the necessity to erect an extra pole. Prop. Mr Taylor, Sec Mr Wildash & carried: That the Council accept the quotation of the S.E.E.B for £54/6/-; Mr Taylor & Mr Pilcher were each proposed as Vice Chairman. As the voting was equal the Chairman used his casting vote in favour of Mr Pilcher. Prop. by the Chairman, Sec. Mr Pilcher & carried: That Mr P Sykes be re-appointed as Clerk. The Chairman expressed his appreciation of the long service given to the Council by Mr. F. W. Dalton as its Chairman for over twenty years. Everyone regretted his absence from this meeting & especially as his non-election was due to a technical error in his nomination form. The meeting unanimously approved of the Chairman’s wish that this appreciation should be entered in the minutes. As two of the new members were unavoidably absent, the Chairman cordially welcomed to the Council Mr Wiles, the other new member. Acceptance of office forms were then signed by all councillors present as was a sheet of specimen signatures for the Bank. The Clerk presented Statement of Accounts & Allotment record for year ending March 31st 1949. It was reported that the accounts would be audited in June. For the first time since pre 1939, it was reported that all allotments were now let. Cheques were signed in favour of (1)Mid Kent Water Co.£2.4.0; (2)S.E.E.B£8/15/4. S. Roper Dixon 11th Oct 1949 (Signed).

11th October 1949 [p76-77]

A meeting of the Parish Council was held at the School on Tuesday Oct. 11th 1949 at 7.30 p.m. under the Chairmanship of Mr. S. R. Dixon. Councillors present were Messrs Brice, Ching, Pilcher, Taylor, Wildash & Wiles, together with the Clerk. The minutes of the last meeting were read, passed & signed. Arising out of the minutes it was reported that no action had been taken to date by the S. E. Electricity Board with regard to the provision of extra lighting in Lynsted Lane. It was decided to write to the S.E.E.B to ask when the work would be started. Circular letter from Ministry of Transport was presented. This points out that Parish Councils may not exceed £100 in carrying out new lighting unless a licence has been obtained. It was decided to take no action regarding a letter from Kent Assn of Parish Councils asking this Parish Council to join the Association. It was decided to discuss the matter at the next meeting. The Clerk reported that the accounts had been examined and passed by the District Auditor. Mr Taylor raised the question of the supply of gas in Lynsted Village especially at the week-end, when it was impossible to cook a meal owing to the low pressure. It was reported to the meeting that the Gas Authorities were aware of the position & that a larger supply pipe up Lynsted Lane was the only solution. As the Chairman was meeting one of those in charge of this area for gas supplied, it was decided to leave the matter in his hands. Mr Ching complained that in the next scheme for new houses, those allotted to Lynsted were actually being sited in Teynham Parish. It was however pointed out that at present all siting is in the hands of Town & Country Planning Officials & that their first conditions are such amenities as main drainage, electricity etc. Cheques were signed in favour of (1)S.E.Elect. Board1st Quarter£9.7.10 + 2nd Quarter £9.12.2; (2)Swale R.D.CElection expenses£2.4.8; (3)P SykesAudit Stamps £4Salary to 31/3/49 £5; Precept for £65 was signed, comprising £15 on the General A/c & £50 on the Lighting A/c. S. Roper Dixon May 25th 1950 (Signed)

[top]