KINGSDOWN (near Sittingbourne) is a village and small straggling parish, 4 miles south-by-east from Sittingbourne station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and 7 south-west from Faversham, in the North Eastern division of the county, Milton hundred and union, lathe of Scray, Sittingbourne petty sessional division, country court district of Sittingbourne and in the rural deanery of Sittingbourne, archdeaconry of Maidstone and diocese of Canterbury. This place gave the title of baron (28th August 1858) to the Rt. Hon. Thomas Leigh-Pemberton Q.C. 1st and only Baron Kingsdown, who died unmarried 7th October 1867, when the title became extinct. The church of St. Catherine is of Kentish rag, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, and was rebuilt on the old site in 1865, at the expense of the late Lord Kingsdown, from designs by E.W. Pugin esq.; it has a tower with spire containing 2 bells, and affords sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, net yearly value about £110, with 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Robert Leigh-Pemberton esq and held since 1912 by the Rev. Cuthbert Ellidge Owtram M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford, who is also rector of Milstead. Robert Leigh-Pemberton esq. of Torry Hill, is lord of the manor and principal land-owner. The soil is rich; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are hops, fruit and wheat. The area is 705 acres; rateable value, £702; in 1911 the population was 52.
Parish Clerk, William Kannard.
Letters are delivered by foot post from Sittingbourne at 7 a.m. At Greenstreet, Lynsted, there is a receiving house, which is also the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, in Kingsdown Street, cleared at 7.15 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; Sundays, 11.35 a.m.
Owtram Rev. Cuthbert Ellidge M.A. (rector), Rectory
Farmer, William, farmer & hop grower, Street farm
Spicer James, farmer
LYNSTED (or Lynstead or Linsted) is a parish and large village, a mile and a half south-west from Teynham station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and 3 south-east from Sittingbourne, in the North Eastern division of the county, Teynham hundred, lathe of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and country court district and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is of flint in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower, with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells: there are several handsome monuments to the Teynham, Knatchbull-Hugessen and Drury families, and brasses to those of Rooper and Worley, besides a number of stained windows, including a memorial window to the Rev. John Hamilton M.A. vicar, 1839-91. The west windows were restored in 1894 at a cost of £120, and in 1905 the roof was restored at a cost of £700: there are 400 sittings, 250 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1693; marriages and burials, 1654. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, with 3 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Jackson Sewell M.A. of Queen’s College, Oxford. Lieut-Col. Charles John Roper Tyler J.P. Mr. John Thomas and Mrs. Vallance are the chief landowners. The soil is brick earth; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are fruit, hops and wheat. The area is 1,827 acres; rateable value, £7,162; in 1911 the population was 1,100.
DEDMAN (or Dadmans) is three-quarters of a mile south from Lynsted church.
GREENSTREET is a large village, 1½ miles north, partly in this parish and partly in Teynham, and on the road from Sittingbourne to Dover, which divides the parishes. Here are a Wesleyan chapel and Salvation Army barracks.
Parish Clerk, James C. C. J. Seagars.
Clerk to the Parish Council, Thomas L. Ackermann, Council schools.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Lynsted. – Herbert Porter, sub-postmaster. Letters through Sittingbourne arrive at 7.5 a.m. & 1 p.m.; Sundays, 7.5 a.m.; dispatched at 9.40 a.m. & 6.45 p.m.; Sundays, 9.35 a.m.
Wall Letter Box, Herriott Wood, cleared at 9.15 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Sundays, 11.15 a.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1877, for 200 children, was enlarged in 1897 to hold 317 children; average attendance, 220; Thomas L. Ackermann, master; Miss Ann Hambrook, mistress; infants, Miss M.E. Hunt
Carrier.- George Shepherd passes through Greenstreet from Chatham to Faversham, tues. thurs. & sat.
Astley, Mrs. Deleval, Lynsted house
Barling, Edward, Tickham
Barling, Miss. Tickham
Court, Valentine, The Grays
Dixon, Bridges, Mount House, Greenstreet
Filmer, George A., The Grange, Greenstreet
French, James. Greenstreet
Lees, William. The Walnuts, Greenstreet
Macdonogh, Lt-Col. George M.W., B.E., Nouds
MacDougall, Capt. Herbert, Loyterton
Mercer, Rt. Montague, The Batteries
Sewell Rev. Thomas Jackson M.A., Vicarage
Smith, George Alfred Henry. Berkeley House
Vallance Mrs. Aymers
Wooldridge Mrs. E. Dadmans
Barling, Edward Henry. Farmer, Tickham
Broad, William H. The George Public House, Greenstreet
Busbridge, Charles Robert, blacksmith
Busbridge, Frances (Miss), shopkeeper
Carrier, Emily (Mrs), stationer, Greenstreet
Carrier, Jesse, watch maker, Greenstreet
Cheeseman, William, boot-maker, Greenstreet
Clarke, Henry, The Swan Public House, Greenstreet
Court, Frederick, tailor, Greenstreet
Curry, Harry W., The Dover Castle Public House, Greenstreet
Dalton, Philip, farmer
Dence, John J., cycle repairer
Dixon, William Roper, Farmer, Cambridge House
Filmer, Frank B., butcher, Greenstreet
French, James, butcher, Greenstreet
Fuller, H & Sons, farmers, Colyers Farm
Goodwin, John. Farmer, Greenstreet
Greenstreet Co-operative Society Ltd, Greenstreet
Hadlow, Terry. Butcher, Greenstreet
Handcock, Edward Frank, watchmaker, Greenstreet
Houghton, Fanny (Miss), ladies’ school
Kemp, William Ernest, saddler, Greenstreet
Kemsley, Henry William, shopkeeper, Greenstreet
McDougall Capt., Herbert, farmer, Loyterton
Mercer, Robert Montague, farmer & hop grower, The Batteries
Millen, Edward Charles, hay and straw dealer, Greenstreet
Morgan, George, confectioner, Greenstreet
Nicholls, Alfred Edward, general dealer, Greenstreet
Packham, Robert Morse, Foxhunters Public House
Peene, James, shoeing smith, Greenstreet
Pilcher, Mary (Mrs), shopkeeper
Porter, Herbert., grocer & post office
Ray, George (Mrs), florist, Greenstreet
Reeves, Frederick, boot maker, Greenstreet
Rye, Edward, carpenter
Sherlock, Charles, farmer
Smith, Charles, fruiterer
Smith, George Alfred Henry, farmer, Berkeley House
Spicer, Edwin, builder
Taylor, Samuel Edward, Black Lion Public House
Terry, Agnes (Mrs), confectioner, Greenstreet
Thomas, John, farmer, Nouds Farm
Thomsett, William Henry, fishmonger, Greenstreet
Trigg, Walter, shopkeeper, Greenstreet
Watts, Henry James, ironmonger, Greenstreet
Wilkins, Ernest, butcher, Greenstreet
Woodfine, John Thomas, marine store dealer, Greenstreet
TEYNHAM (or Tenham) is an ancient town and parish, on the coast of the Swale, partly in a marshy district, with a station, a quarter of a mile north from the village, on the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, and is 3 miles east from Sittingbourne, 4 west from Faversham and 43 from London, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred of the same name, lathe of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. This place gives the title of baron to the Roper-Curzon family. The parish church of St. Mary is of flint, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower containing 6 bells; there are several brasses and a number of stained windows; the chancel was restored in 1873 and there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £165, with residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Stuart Augustus Townley M.A. of St Mary Hall, Oxford. Brick making is carried on extensively. Teynham was given to Christ Church, Canterbury, by Kenulf, King of Mercia (794 – 819), and the Archbishops of Canterbury had a palace here in or before 1184, which was successively occupied by Archbishops Baldwin (1184 – 91), Hubert Walter (1193 – 1207), Langton (1207 – 29), and Raynold (1313 – 28), and in 1394 Edward III. Granted to the town a market and a fair. Richard Harris, fruiterer to Henry VIII. Planted 105 acres of rich land here with cherries, pippins and golden rennets, which he had obtained from beyond the sea; hence all the cherry gardens and orchards in Kent have been stocked with the Flemish cherry. On account of the marshes Teynham was formerly reputed to be unhealthy, but at the present time the health of the district is very satisfactory, this improvement being accounted for by the drainage of the marshes. Col. Charles John Roper Tyler, of Lynsted, is lord of the manor. There are in this parish about 43 acres of land (Queen Anne’s Bounty) belonging to the vicarage of Oare. The trustees of the late Captain G.H. Moore R.N. and Robert Mercer esq. J.P. of Rodmersham, are the chief landowners. The area is 2,472 acres of land, 1 of inland and 114 of tidal water and 279 of foreshore; rateable value, £11,493; the population in 1911 was 1,701.
On the Creek is Conyer Quay; Great and Little Frognal are 1 mile south-west; Barrow Green, half a mile south-west.
GREENSTREET is partly in this parish and partly in Lynsted. Here is the Mission church of St. Andrew’s, which has 250 sittings; there is also a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1841. For names of residents see also Lynsted.
Sexton, John Button
Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert S. Dunn, 3 Albion terrace, Faversham.
Post, Telegraph, Money Order & Telephone Office, Greenstreet – Mrs. Anna Susan Read, sub-postmistress. Letters by cycle from Sittingbourne arrive at 6.35 a.m. & 2.35 & 7.30 p.m.; dispatched at 10 a.m. & 12.15, 7 & 8 p.m.; on sundays at 9.45 a.m.; on Sundays open until 10 a.m. excepting for parcels; closed on Wednesday after 1 p.m. excepting for telegrams & telephone.
Post Office, Lucerne Street. – Mrs. Louisa Gambell, sub-postmistress. Letters from Sittingbourne, via Greenstreet, which is the nearest telegraph & money order office, are delivered 8.5 a.m.; dispatched, 9.15 a.m. & 6.55 p.m.; Sundays, 8.5 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes – West End, cleared at 9.50 a.m. & 7 & 8.10 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.; Teynham street, cleared 8.5 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.; Sunday, 8.5 p.m.; Railway station, cleared 9.20 a.m. & 6.35 & 7.45 p.m.; Sunday, 9.20 a.m.; Conyer Quay, cleared at 8 a.m. ; Deerton Street, cleared 8.40 a.m. & 6.5 p.m.; Sunday, 8.40 a.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), Barrow Green, founded in 1849 & enlarged in 1872, 1884 & 1904, for 370 children; average attendance, s50 boys & girls; infants, 108; George Potts, master; Mrs. A.E.Potts, mistress; Miss Louisa Pound, infants’ mistress.
Railway Station, Charles Matthews, station master.
Bensted, Henry Thomas, Teynham Court
Goodenough Rev. Leonard William Victor M.A. (rector of Norton), Worlds End, Lucerne Street.
Honeyball Col., James Frederick V.D., J.P., Newgardens
Selby, Prideaux George, Brusons, Greenstreet
Townley Rev., Stuart Augustus M.A. (vicar), Vicarage.
Austin, George, farmer
Bensted, Henry Thomas, farmer, Teynham Court lodge
Bolton, Charles Henry, smith, Greenstreet
Broad, Walter, Fox Inn, Greenstreet
Brooker, Arnold, Plough Public House, Lucerne Street
Burrows, H., farm bailiff to Robert Mercer esq
Button, Silvanis, shopkeeper, Conyer Quay
Chantler, Edmund, coach builder, Greenstreet
Crippen, W.H., builder, Greenstreet
Denham, Edith (Miss), dress maker
Escott, R. Gilbert M.P.S., chemist
Eastwood & Co. Ltd., brick makers, Teynham & Conyer’s Quay [“see advertisement” – not here]
French, W. & Sons., grocers, Barrow Green
French, Charles, farmer
French, Henry, Brunswick Arms Public House, Conyer’s Quay
Gambell, Charles, shop keeper, Lucerne Street
Gambell, Henry, butcher, Lucerne Street
Gambell, James, baker, Greenstreet
George, Stephen & George, builders, Greenstreet & wheelwrights, Lucerne Street & Deerton Street
George, Stephen, registrar of births & deaths for the Teynham sub-district, Faversham union & collector of assessed land& income taxes, Greenstreet
Gladwell, James, blacksmith, Lucerne Street
Goodwin, Frank James, farm bailiff to W.R. Dixon esq.
Greenstreet Co-operative Society Limited (William Edwards, manager)
Hales, Emma (Mrs), coffee tavern
Hills, Charles, hair dresser, Greenstreet
Honeyball & Son, coal merchants; head office at Sittingbourne
Honeyball, James Frederick, farmer & hop grower
Hunt, William & Co., grocers, Greenstreet
Kemsley, Henry William, beer retailer, Greenstreet
Mercer, R. & Co., brickmakers
Neaves, Herbert, insurance agent, Greenstreet
Parker, Charles, boot repairer, Greenstreet
Parris, Albert Edward, stationer
Perkess, E, Railway Inn
Post, James hair dresser, Greenstreet
Ray & Co., florists, Greenstreet
Read & Son, grocers, & post office, Greenstreet
Read, Almiria (Mrs), midwife
Rye, William, cycle repairer, Greenstreet
Saunders, James, farm bailiff to Col. J.F. Honeyball, Newgardens
Seager, Ernest, shopkeeper, Barrow Green
Selby, Prideaux George L.R.C.P. (London), M.R.C.S.Eng, physician & surgeon, & medical officer of health for Faversham Rural District & public vaccinator for the 4th Faversham district, Brusons
Smith, Henry, timber merchant
Thorp, Edward, beer retailer, Greenstreet
Trice, Emily (Mrs), Ship Public House, Conyer’s Quay
Trigg, William, coach painter, Greenstreet
White & Co., barge builders, Conyer’s Quay
Whittle, Robert A., draper, Greenstreet
Wigg, William, grocer
Wildash, Henry, insurance agent
Wildash, John, bricklayer
Wilson, Mary A., (Mrs) & Charles, farmers.