Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Documentation and Connections

- Public Houses in Greenstreet

- Publicans and Tenants in the George Inn (David Aggersberg)

Kent Historic Environment Record (H.E.R.)

Other Library Sections

- Data (lists, tables, statistics)

- Image Collections

- Books, Pamphlets and Extracts

- eNewsletters

- Material from nearby places

 

The George Inn, Greenstreet

A long-established and historically interesting feature at the centre of Greenstreet on the corner with Lynsted Lane.

Publicans/Tenants

Thanks to David J Aggersberg (family researcher with an interest in the Kemp Family), who provided this list.

This public house was called "The George and Dragon" until circa 1840.

Pigotts Directory 1828-29 -- Jeremiah Cornwall

Pigotts Directory 1832-34 -- Elizabeth "Cromwell" (Cornwall). Separate entry for William Kemp (saddler).

Stapletons Directory 1838 -- Elizabeth Cornwall. Separate entry for William Kemp (saddler).

Pigotts Directory 1840 (believed published 1839) -- Elizabeth Cornwell. Separate entries for William Kemp (saddler) and James Duncan (shoemaker).

Lynsted Tithe List dated 25 March 1840 -- William Kemp (tenant). Owner shown as William Rigden.

Bagshaws Directory 1847 -- James Duncan tenant of "The George" and shoemaker. Separate entry for William Kemp (saddler).


David added his family chronology in February 2011:

“The William Kemp who was the tenant {of the George Public House} in 1840 is not, of course, my grandfather William Ernest, but his grandfather. The sequence is:

 

Notes:

1. Lynsted 1840 Tithe List at www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Maps/LYS/01.htm The entry for William Kemp is clearly not for what became 118 London Road.
2. Elizabeth Cornwell died 1848.
3. 1851 Census, shows Mary Ann Cornwell (described as niece and servant) in Kemp household now at 118 London Road.
4. Same Census, records Kemp children being born in Teynham up to 1837 and then Lynsted from 1843.


Historic Environment Record (H.E.R.) - The George Inn

HER Number: TQ 96 SE 1101
Grade II listed building. Main construction periods 1600 to 1699
Grid Reference: TQ 9512 6246
Parish: Lynsted with Kingsdown, Swale, Kent
SITE (Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
Protected Status: Listed Building (II) 1069305
Full description:
TQ 96 SE - LYNSTED, LONDON ROAD (south side)
3/63 The George Inn - II
Public House. C17. Timber framed, underbuilt with painted brick and plastered on first floor, with plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth and modillion eaves cornice to roof half-hipped to right, with 1 hipped dormer and stacks to rear centre and projecting end left and end right. Five glazing bar sashes on first floor, and three 6-light C20 mullioned and transomed windows on ground floor, and central ensemble of 2 half glazed doors and 3 light mullioned window and panelled apron, with pilasters and cornice over all. Said to predate 1679 (See E. Selby, Teynham Manor and Hundred, 1982 edn., p.70).
Listing NGR: TQ9512062460

Sources and further reading
--- Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.