Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Return to Projects Home Page


Associated Documents

- Greenstreet Montage: in 1973 (Peter Salmon) and 2010 (Nigel Heriz-Smith)

- Postcard Images of Greenstreet

- Greenstreet Family - Research

- Extract from "A Saunter through Kent"

- Extracts from Elizabeth Selby's "Teynham Manor and Hundred"

 

Greenstreet Project

Greenstreet Local 1801It wasn't so very long ago that "Greenstreet" was the dominant and most populous local community between the towns of Faversham and Sittingbourne. Sitting as it did on the main commercial thoroughfare, the home of many local trades and coaching inns that supported a largely agricultural economy to its north and south. The evidence of Roman and pre-Roman influences are scattered along and to each side of this stretch of Watling Street. From time to time, a military road, a toll-road plied by commerce and travellers (and those who preyed on them), a declining and poorly maintained track with the advent of trains, and then again a resurgent main thoroughfare that took people elsewhere but still providing a focus for commerce. Thankfully, the building of the M2 gave some measure of relief from the age of the car (and lorry) in recent years that chokes ancient communities. The status of Greenstreet did lead some people to describe the proposed railway station as the "Greenstreet Station".

1801 Milton Map Local detail for Lynsted and TeynhamHitherto, a rather minor population to the north of Greenstreet was Teynham (Teynham Street) and Barrow Green. Teynham Street and Newgardens were more notable for their large landowners rather than their populations. It wasn't until the late Victorian period that we saw an expansion of Greenstreet to the West (many of the terraced homes have the build-date displayed in a lozenge on the front-facing wall). The Teynham parish boundary along the London Road also infilled along the market-gardens and orchards that once dominated Greenstreet.

Greenstreet's expansion took place on the back of industrial-scale brickmaking, nearby world-class brick and cement works (Conyer), and the arrival of the railway (25th January 1858). Parish Council minute books show how slowly metalling and pavements arrived in Greenstreet.

The sale of Newgardens in recent times allowed further in-filling of the space between railway and the arterial road during the 19th and 20th century. The "new" Teynham became one of the largest "industrial villages" in Kent. This led Post Office administrators at the beginning of the 19th century, to decide on erasing the name of "Greenstreet" for its post-office (on the Teynham side of the A2). This task was completed after World War 1. We see echos of the once thriving commercial community in its buildings and in the names of some of its businesses. But many of the small shops are now converted to residential use or fallen into disuse. Most of the brickearth surrounding Teynham and Lynsted has also long gone and the number of local brick-makers declined. If you scrape away the visual clutter of modern-day traffic management, random signage and power/telephone lines, this ancient community is still attractive and retains an identity quite separate from those of the old Lynsted to the south and the Teynham Street community to the north.

Documents and images