MILTON –NEXT-SITTINGBOURNE UNION (&C.) DIRECTORY.
With GUIDE, LOCAL INFORMATION, MAP, and PLACES
1903-1904 6d. Net
On London Road, midway between Faversham and Sittingbourne.
Letters through Sittingbourne
For Parish Information see Kingsdown, Lynsted and Teynham.
-- With thanks for access to this copy to Nigel Heriz-Smith --
Page 145 .............................................
South Side in Lynsted Parish.
North Side in Teynham Parish.
(Here is road leading to Lucerne-st.)
Oast House, Newland’s Farm
(Here is Nowd’s Lane.)
THE HILL, GREENSTREET –
The Walnuts – Lees, William
(Here comes Cellar Hill)
Peene, James, general smith
Ray, George, florist
Mount House –
Alfred House – Skeets, Mrs
The Grange – Filmer, G.A., farmer and butcher
Dover Castle Inn – Curry, Harry W.
Shepherd, George, confectioner
Cheeseman, William, bootmaker
Reeves, Frank, bootmaker
Perkins, Mrs. M., confectioner
Watts, James, plumber, etc
LIME COTTAGES –
1 Drury, James
2 Homewood, Thomas
3 Thomas, Mrs. M., laundress
Wilkins, Ernest Walter, butcher
Wilkins, Mrs., William
Court, Fred, tailor
Barker, William, grocer
Read, Mrs., confectioner
Bashford Edward, coachbuilder, smith, etc
Austin, F., stationery and fancy
French, James, farmer and butcher
(Here comes Lynsted Lane)
George Inn – Broad, William Henry
George Livery Stables – Broad, Edward, jobmaster, furniture remover, etc.
Benton, J. S. Watchmaker and jeweller
Dawes and Son, bakers and confectioners
Swan Inn – Hooker, Joseph
Swan Livery Stables – Trigg, Arthur W., carrier to let on hire, furniture removed from and to all parts, agent to the S.E. & C. Railway
Filmer, George A., butcher and farmer
Cooperative Society, Furnishing Store
Carriage Works – Bashford, Edward, coachbuilder, wheelwright, and smith; carriages oiled by the year; estimates free
Hadlow, Charles, confectioner
Everard, Thomas, market gardener
Emptage, ---, Kent County Constable
Gambell, James, Lynsted dairy
Trigg, Walter, bootmaker and chimney sweep
1 Little, Edward
2 Godfrey, Alfred
3 Jeffrey, William
Kemp, W. E., saddler
Ivy Cottage – Snashall, Richard
The Hollies – McCarthy, Dr. J. T., surgeon
1 Tumber, Charles
2 Tumber, Alfred
3 Sayers, Mrs
4 Ridley, George
5 Jeffery, George William
Matilda Cottage – Cheeseman, ---
Attaway, Mrs., laundress
“Salvation Army” Hall
Everard, George, market gardener
French, James, Butcher
Page 146 .............................................
ALBION PLACE –
1 Brown, John
2 Webb, John
3 Gosling, Mrs.
4 Spillett, Henry, Prudential Assurance agent
5 Nicholls, Alfred
6 Hollands, Mrs.
7 Nicholls, Mrs.
8 Brown, James
9 (Rose Cottage), Austen, Harry
10 Kingsnorth, Edward
ISANDULA COTTAGE –
1 Bird, John
2 Read, John Henry
LILLY COTTAGES –
1 Carpenter, Henry
2 Eason, William
1 Baker, James
2 Maybourne, Mrs
3 Hopper, James
4 Dennis, Mrs
1 Rayner, Mrs. A.L.
2 Neaves, Thomas
3 Wood, Charles
4 Diprose, Mrs. E.
5 Neaves, James
6 Wraight, John
(Continuation is Bapchild)
1 Kemp, Stephen
2 Fentiman, Mrs. S.
3 Gooding, John
4 Higgins, William
5 Leeds, Henry
7 Collins, Mrs.
8 Smith, John
9 Chapman, T.
10 Baker, Mrs.
Whitehall – Brown, Mrs. A.
THE HILL, GREENSTREET –
FILMER’S COTTAGES –
1 Lee, Thomas
2 Lever, George
Brusson Cottage – Mount, W.R.
Brusson – Selby, Dr.P.
S. Andrew’s Mission Church
Akhurst, Mrs. A.
Zumber, William Robert
Hall, Mrs. M.
Hall, T.G. chimney sweep
MOUNT PLEASANT –
1 Packman, J., Kent County Constabulary
2 Friday, Charles
3 Broadbridge, W.
Mount Pleasant Nursery – Messrs. Ray and Co.
Trigg, William, coachbuilder
Rye, W., cyclemaker
(here comes Station Road)
Teynham Arms – Hollands
Post, John R., hairdresser and perfumer
Tyrell, Mrs. C.
Kite, Mrs. M.
Rose Inn – Rayner, Edward
Vine House – Pattison, H. W.
Pattison, Mrs Tobacconist
Hills, C., hairdresser
Post Office – Read, J. W., grocer and sub-postmaster
Coldwell and Company, family and dispensing chemists; agents for Schweppe’s table waters; Biggs and Cooper’s sheep dips; Pettifer’s herbal lamb tonic; and Gibben’s herbal cold cure. Noted house for the best brands of cigars, cigarettes, and tobacco.
Atkins, W., outfitter, draper, house furnisher, etc.; agent for the sale of this Directory
Co-operative Society, Ltd., Registered office and stores
Trigg, Mrs. E.
Page 147 .............................................
Gambell, James, baker and dairyman
George, S. Builder
Cheeseman, W., blacksmith
Carrier, James, watchmaker
Hunt, William and Co., grocers, drapers, etc
Jarrett, B., corn, coal, and coke merchant
Builder’s yard – Wildish, John
Wildish, John, builder
Elizabeth Cottage – Cheeseman, D.
Cheeseman, J. M.
Rowe, J. W.
Brown, Mrs. S.
Fox Inn – Town, Mrs.
Kingsdown is a Rectory in the gift of Sir E. Leigh Pemberton, K.C.B. It is a very small parish, situate about four miles sough by east from Sittingbourne Station and seven from Faversham. The Right Hon. Thomas Leigh Pemberton, P.C., Q.C., first Baron Kingsdown, took his title from this place, August 28th, 1858. He dying unmarried October 7th, 1867, the title became extinct. The soil is fertile, with clay subsoil. Fruit, hops and wheat, are the principal products. Population, 1891, 77; 1901, 73. Area, 695. Rateable value, £714. The Church, dedicated to S. Catherine, is of Kentish rag, with bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, E. W. Pugin supplying the designs. The expense was met by the late Lord Kingsdown. It has seating accommodation for 100 persons. Registers date from 1560. Vicar: Rev. Houstonne James Hordern, M.A.; Parish Clerk: William Kennard; Services: Sunday, 11 and 3. Guardian: William John Jarrett. Overseers: William Farmer and Richard Cooper. Assistant Overseer: William T. Jackson; Registrar Births and Deaths: William T. Jackson, Sittingbourne. Postal arrangements, see Sittingbourne.
[For Further Parish Information see Greenstreet, Lynsted and Teynham.]
Clark, Frederick John
(Bonds Cottage), Russell, William
Wall letter box
(Kingsdown House), Wilkinson, The Hon. Mrs. Louisa
(Hole Street Farm) Farmer, W. R.
(The Rectory), Hordern, Ref. H. J., rector
Near Blue Town are –
Lynsted is a Vicarage in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The Parish lies southward of the London Road at the 43rd milestone at Greenstreet, the south side of which is within the bounds of it. The ground rises towards the south of the parish. The Village is near the centre, in the middle of which is the Church. Lynsted Lodge, with the Park, is situated at the south-east extremity of the Parish. In 1781 it was related that Lord Teynham grew such quantities of grapes at Lynsted Lodge that in some years they made there “two or three tons of white wine, little, if any, inferior to Lisbon.” Population, 1891, 1157; 1871, 1165; 1901, 1215.
The Church, which stands on the south side of the village, 5½ miles south-west from Faversham Market Place, is dedicated to S.S. Peter and Paul, and consists of 3 chancels and 3 aisles. The steeple, which is a spired shaft covered in shingle, stands t the north-west corner, and has 5 bells. The Church contains some fine monuments.
Vicar: Rev. T.J. Sewell, M.A. Churchwardens: G.A.Filmer and G.A.H.Smith. Sidesmen: C. R. Busbridge and B.R. Dixon.
Services: Sunday, 11 and 6.30; Children’s Service, 3.p.m. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Holy Communion, 1st Sunday in month, 11 a.m.; 3rd Sunday, 7.15 a.m.; and other Sundays at 8 a.m.; on Holy Days as announced in Church on previous Sunday. Week Days: Morning Prayer, 8.15 a.m.; Evening Prayer, 2.15 p.m.
Guardian: W. Roper Dixon. Overseers: Thomas Back and G. A. H. Smith. Assistant Overseer: R. S. Dunn. Registrar Births,, Deaths, and Marriages, S. George, junr., Greenstreet, Monday and Saturday, 10 to 1. Queen’s Tax Collector, S. George, junr., Greenstreet.
Parish Council: Rev. T. P. Sewell, M.a. (chairman), W. White Lefevre, G. Smith, and G. Wraight. Board School: T. L. Ackerman, headmaster; Mrs. Ackerman, head mistress.
Postal Arrangements: see Sittingbourne.
Agents for the sale of this Directory: A. E. Parris, Station Road, Teynham: W. Atkins, Greenstreet; and Miss Busbridge, Post Office, Lynsted.
[For Further Parish Information see Greenstreet, Kingsdown and Teynham.]
(See Special Heading.)
South side only in Lynsted
North side in Teynham
(Continuation of Lynsted Street to Kingsdown)
(Aymers), Vallance, Mrs.
(Aymers Lodge), White, William
(Lynsted Lodge), Teynham, Right Hon. Lord, J.P.
(Park Dairy), Champion, Osmond G.
(Dadmans), Barnes, Frederick Gorel
(Yew Tree Cottage), Spice, Stephen
CHRISTOPHER ROW –
Stone, William Henry
(Holly Tree Cottage), Smith, Charles
(St. Christopher), Sherlock, Charles
(The Greys), Court, Valentine
(Greys Cottage), Jeanes, George
Fox Hunter Inn, Packmann, Robert M.
BOND’S COTTAGES –
Rye, Edward, builder
Smith, Mrs. Charlotte
(Here comes Kingsdown)
(From Lynsted Church to Kingsdown)
On right from Church
Rogers, Albert John
(Jasamine House) Boise, Miss C.
Ludgate Farm – Coe, John
(Whitehall), Smeed, David
On left from Church –
Edmed, Mrs. Frances
Dence, John James
(From George Inn, Greenstreet, to Lynsted Street)
On right from Greenstreet-
Middleton, Edwin George
(Rose House), Lavars, W.A.
Wesleyan Sunday School
(Collegiate School), Houghton, Miss F., and Symonds, Miss B.
(Orchard House) George, G. W., builder
(Here is road to Sittingbourne.)
(Here is Lynsted Street)
Page 157 .............................................
On left from Greenstreet
(Malt House), Hawkins, Thomas
Pilcher, Mrs. Mary
(Bogle Farm), Filmer, Thomas
(School House), Ackermann, T.L.
Lynsted Board School
(Battersea Farm), Mercer, Robert M.
(Here comes Lynsted Street)
(continuation of Lynsted Lane)
On right from Lynsted Lane –
Black Lion Inn, Fuller, Mrs. Sarah
(Here comes Ludgate Road)
Smith, George H., grocer and farmer
Smith, Andrew William
(Continuation is road to Kingsdown)
On left from Lynsted Lane –
(The Vicarage), Sewell, Rev. T. J., M.A., Vicar
(Hillside) Back, Thomas, builder
Dence, Mrs. Ann Maria
Busbridge, Charles Robert, smith and farrier and general shopkeeper
(Post Office), Busbridge, Miss, sub-postmistress; agent for the sale of this Directory
Dives, John Edward
(Continuation is road to Kingsdown)
(From London Road to Tickham.)
(Noud’s House), Warstall, Capt.
Challender, William, land surveyor
New House Farm
Ralph, Henry William
Barling, Miss Ellen
(Loyterton Farm), Collins, Joseph
Teynham is a Vicarage in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. It lies for the most part to the north of the London Road at Greenstreet, the northern side of which is in this Parish. The Railway Station is about 3 miles from Sittingbourne and 4 miles from Faversham. The Church is about a mile north-east from Greenstreet, and a little below the Church is the Village, a small distance northward of which are the marshes, which extend to the Swale, the northern boundary of the Parish. On a small Creek in these marshes is a Quay called Conyers.
Richard Harrys, fruiterer to Henry VIII., in 1533 obtained 105 acres of rich land called the Brennet, and dividing it into 10 parcels, planted it with fruit trees which he obtained from abroad. They consisted of the Kentish cherry, Kentish Pippen, and the golden renate. Population: 1891, 1,683; 1871, 1,695; 1901, 1839.
The Church, dedicated to S. Mary, is built in the form of a cross, and consists of three aisles, a High Chancel, and north and south chancels, having a square tower at the west end in which hang four bells. There are remains of good painted glass in the windows. The south chancel is called “the Frognall chancel,” as belonging to that estate. The north is termed “the Hinkley chancel.” Registers daet from 1538, the year when Oliver Cromwell, Vicar-General, ordered Parish Registers to be kept throughout the kingdom.
Vicar: Rev. E. J. Corbould, M.A., Assistant Priest: Rev. F. Newham. Churchwardens: R. Lake and W. R. Dixon. Services: Parish Church, Sundays, 11 and 3; Holy Communion, 1st Sunday in month, after Matins; 3rd Sunday, 8 a.m.; Morning Prayers on Saints’ Days, and on every Friday during Advent and Lent, 10.30 a.m. Sunday School: 10.15 and 2.30. Superintendent: W. Lees. Will seat 400. S. Andrew’s Mission Church, Greenstreet: Sundays, Morning Service on 2nd and 4th Sundays, 11 a.m. Holy Communion, 2nd Sunday at 8 a.m.; 4th after Matins. Every Sunday Evening, 6.30. Wednesday, 7 p.m. Hymns, A. and M. There are also Wesleyan and Bible Christian Chapels.
Guardian: H.T. Bensted. Overseers: W. French and W. R. Dixon. Assistant Overseer: R. S. Dunn. Registrar Births, Deaths and Marriages: S. George, junr. Queen’s Tax Collector: S. George, junr., Greenstreet.
Postal Arrangements: See Sittingbourne.
Parish Council: Roper Dixon (Chairman), W. Atkins, H. T. Bensted, W. H. Crippen, W. French, I. J. Holmes, W. J. Read, W. R. Read and S. E. Streetfield. Clerk, R. S. Dunn.
National Schools: Barrow Green; J. H. Winterton, headmaster; Mrs. Winterton, headmistress.
Ancient Order of Foresters: Court Pride of Greenstreet; Secretary, W. Streetfield, Station Road, Teynham.
National Deposit Friendly Society: Secretary, Mr. Rogers, Station Road, Teynham.
Hand-in-Hand Benefit Club: Secretary, J. Miles, Teynham Coffee Tavern.
Agents for the Sale of this Directory: A. E. Parris, Station Road; and W. Atkins, Greenstreet.
(back to top)