Walks in our area (you are advised to carry an Ordnance Survey map, although you may find our own maps helpful)
- Beating the Bounds Walks (2003): Collection of six walks taking in the boundary of Lynsted with Kingsdown Parish.
- Faversham Food Trails (2011): taking in Teynham - Conyer - Lewson Street - Teynham + Lynsted Loop from Lewson Street. (see below)
- Society Member Walks shared with us:
From 12th May 2011, a new collection of “Faversham Food Trails” that includes one which passes through Lynsted, Teynham, Conyer and Lewson Street. Read and/or print the PDF (6 pages).
A full list of walks supported by this initiative can be found using this link.
We have produced a map showing all the walks used on 7th September 2003 and later planted with holly trees as well as some images that we collected.
The next phase of this project took place on Sunday, 29th February 2004 when holly trees will be planted at the boundary markers. Holly trees are a traditional evergreen markers. You can find out more about beating the bounds in a short summary by Bob Baxter.
We have summarised the walks used in terms of distance and number of stiles (for those who prefer to avoid them).
- Walk 1 took in Kingsdown (Hole Street Farm) to parish junction of Slough Road - 3.2 miles.
- Walk 2 took in Toll Lane, Ludgate Road, Kingsdown, and parish junction on Kingsdown Road - 3.2 miles
- Walk 3 took in Toll Lane, through village, past Batteries Farm, along Claxfield Lane and parish junction opposite coldstore - 3.1 miles.
- Walk 4 took in Toll Lane past Cambridge Farm, Stoney Path (we believe this has roots back to Roman times), and Nouds Lane down to the A2 boundary marker - 4 miles with 2 stiles
- Walk 5 took in Toll Lane, Village Centre past Hillside House, cross Tickham Lane and Loyterton to the boundary marker on the lane leading to Monks Farm. Not a walk for the infirm as there are 6 stiles on this 3.1 mile walk.
- Walk 6 took in Kingsdown (Hole Street Farm) following the track past the historic Kingsdown Church (now maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund) and to the boundary marker on the path by Downs Court (Downs Court Road) - 3.1 miles