First World War Project

Leonard TERRY (of Teynham)

chr. 1st December 1886
d. 3rd May 1915. Aged 28

Private, Service Number L/8780
2nd Battalion, East Kent (The Buffs) Regiment
Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial
Grave Ref: Panel 12 and 14
Killed in Action

Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Leonard Terry was one of nine children born to Stephen Hugh Terry and Sophia (née Norris) - both parents being natives of Luddenham. The family moved between Wool Quay (Faversham), Lynsted Lane (near Greenstreet) and Teynham Street (the older part of the village near the Church of St. Mary). Leonard started life in Teynham Street. By the age of 14 he was a brickfield labourer and his father was a labourer in Conyer Cement Factory. His mother had died by this time (1901).

There are very few military documents directly referencing Leonard Terry but we can place his enlistment to the summer of 1907 by reference to other recruits from Teynham.

RIMS DufferinHis Regimental number (L/8780) sits close to that of George Abraham Hall (attested 1st April 1907; L/8484), also a Teynham man. So, they may well have known each other before enlisting, but would have certainly known each other once they were posted - alongside Ernest Ridley (L/8302), an earlier Teynham recruit (1906).

By the time of the 1911 Census, Leonard Terry appears overseas as a Private aged of 24. This means he was destined to be part of the standing army (B.E.F.) at the time that the Great War began. The B.E.F. (British Expeditionary Force) was made up of serving and experienced ex-soldiers who were needed to 'hit the ground running'. Their role was to hold back the German army while Territorial Forces were recruited to swell the numbers available in Europe.

With an attestation in the summer of 1907, it is not unreasonable to assume that Leonard Terry went overseas at the same time as George Abraham Hall (who spend 303 days on Home Duty before being sent overseas with his Regiment).

On 1st February 1908, 2nd Battalion East Kent Regiment (The Buffs) embarked H.M.T. Braemar Castle bound for Harrismith, South Africa, arriving on 27th February. This posting was during a relatively uneventful period in local conditions - the Boer Wars were over. 268 days later, on 21st October 1908, Private Terry would have embarked R.I.M.S. (Royal Indian Marine Ship) Dufferin and disembarked two weeks later in Hong Kong on 20th November 1908.

SS_UltoniaHe served in Hong Kong for 2 years and 58 days before, on 5th December 1910, the Second Battalion EKR embarked R.I.M.S. Hardinge to Singapore - disembarked 10th December 1910 for 2 years and 58 days service. Again, no significant actions, just general policing/gunboat diplomacy. His next destination was India. To get there, he may have joined the R.I.M.S. Northbrook on 28th January 1913, and served for 1 year 288 days before joining the crowded S.S. Ultonia on 16th November 1914 as part of the urgent reorganisation to meet the threat in Europe.

Leonard, would have remained at "Home", before he joined the British Expeditionary Force on 17th January 1915. On disembarkation, the 2nd Battalion was moved immediately to Morn Hill Camp, Winchester, one of the largest WW1 military camps where numbers were brought up to fighting strength.

Initially, the Second Battalion were short of seven officers and 121 men, these gaps had to be found from 3rd Battalion (the Reserve Battalion). They also needed horses, vehicles and signalling equipment. On 6th January, the Regiment moved to Forders Wool Factory, Winchester. Throughout January, the numbers of officers and men needed fluctuated due to illness. In the meantime, soldiers were drilled on firing ranges, practiced transport loading, and took delivery of their machine guns, ready to join the 28th Division, 85th Brigade.

On 12th January, the 85th Brigade was inspected by H.M. The King.

Friday 15th January 1915 – Western Gazette


The King accompanied by Lord Kitchener, Major Clive Wigram, and Sir Charles Cust, visited Winchester on Tuesday [12th January] to inspect the division which is mustering there in readiness for active service in Flanders. Also in the train were Sir H. A. Walker (general manager of the railway), Mr. Henry Homes (superintendent of the line), and Supt Robinson (railway police department).
The Royal train arrived at Winchester at 10.30 in the morning, and was met by Lieut.-General W.P. Campbell, commanding the Southern District; Major-General E. Bulfin, and other officers. The Royal party motored from the station, through the main streets of Winchester to a point on the Petersfield-road, three miles away, known as the Devil's Punch Bowl, Chesterford Head.
The men of the division were lining this road for a couple of miles, and the King passed slowly along the line. As each battalion was reached Lord Kitchener addressed a few words to the men, expressing his satisfaction at their splendid fitness, and saying how proud he was that the men of his old command in India were showing themselves so eager to take their part in the Great War. He said it had been his hope that in such a conflict as this he might have commanded his old Indian Army at the Front, but fate had ordered otherwise. He was sure, however, that they would do their duty with the best, and he knew that if any English division could break the German resistance it was this division now under review.
As the King passed down the lines a rather unusual thing happened. Many of the men were unaware that the King was to visit them, so his presence was a delightful surprise. After the usual Royal salute some of the men suddenly poised their service caps on their bayonets, and held them sloping in the air forming a triumphal arch immediately over the Royal car, cheering the while. Instantly the example was followed, and the King passed under a long arch of rifles, while the whole division cheered with wonderful enthusiasm. The King was deeply touched at the sight, and even Lord Kitchener's sphinx-like expression relaxed.
The inspection over, the Royal party returned to the station, where, by command of the King the Mayor of Winchester was presented to him by General Campbell. The King expressed his satisfaction at the excellent billeting arrangements made for the troops in Winchester. He said that he recognised that the work of the Winchester officials must have been very heavy, yet it had been admirably carried out, and had greatly added to the comfort and welfare of the troops. He was sure Lord Kitchener would concur in what he said."

On 17th January 1915, the 2nd Battalion marched to Southampton and joined the BEF made up of 24 officers, 982 other ranks, 79 horses, 32 vehicles and 8 bicycles. Although, Leonard's medal card suggests a disembarkation of 7th January - but that card got the year wrong! So, he most likely was in the 17 January draft. This was 3 fewer "other ranks" than had set out because of illness or fatigue! They embarked on S.S. Inventor bound for Le Havre, where they picked up their interpreters.

Via Graville Rest Camp and Hazebruck the 2nd Battalion arrived at Croix Rouge ("close billets") by 21st January which was followed by field training, route marching, drill and inspections.

From the evening of 6th February, Leonard opened his experience of fighting in Europe in trenches at FERME CHAPELLE. New to trench warfare, the Battalion Diary records how poor the conditions were with knee-deep water and parapets that would not stop a bullet. Trenches went in straight lines without adequate communication trenches, so movements between trench lines were vulnerable to enfilade fire as soldiers were exposed moving between their own trenches. When relieved back to Chateau ROSENDAL (9th February), several men went off sick with swollen feet and frostbite.

Throughout February, the 2nd Battalion moved in and out trenches suffering intense machine-gun fire, bombardment, cold and waterlogged trenches as German forces probed canal and other defences around YPRES and OUDERDOM. There were regular losses and injuries among officers and other ranks. From OUDERDOM, the 2nd Battalion were relieved back to LOCRE with the 3rd Division. To get a bath, fresh clothes and rest, on 28th February, the Battalion marched from LOCRE to WESTOUTRE.

From LOCRE, the 2nd Battalion moved to DICKEBUSCH to take over the trenches there from 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers at ST ELOI. There followed a month of 'turn and turn about' between these two Battalions in the firing line.

4th April (Easter Day), 2nd Battalion marched to YPRES to rest in the Cavalry Barracks but were soon (10th April) taking up their position at the centre of a defence line at the cross-roads for YPRES-MORSLEDE, PASSCHENDAELE-GHELUVELT in close proximity to the German lines. It was also about this time that previously injured or sick soldiers were drafted back to their Battalion at the front. During mid-April, the 2nd Battalion in the trenches at ZONNEBEKE, found themselves under intensifying shelling, part of the German 'softening up' before their major assault on Allied positions. On 13th April, the 2nd Battalion joined an assault on the German trenches, but found themselves seriously hampered by their own wire entanglements (which could not be removed without giving away the intention to attack). The period from 4th to 14th April, had resulted in many casualties recorded as: Killed: 1 officer, Lieutenant A.W. Ramsey.
Wounded: 4 officers, Capt C. H. Hood; Lieutenant Marsh Smith; Lieutenant Whitaker; 2nd Lieutenant C.E.Leigh.
Killed: Other ranks 22; Wounded: Other Ranks 62; Missing:1.

Circumstances of the Death of Private Leonard Terry

What few military records there are for this man show that the official date for Private Terry's death is "presumed" as 3rd May 1915 - this degree of uncertainty is commonly an indicator of large losses in battle, including burial in trenches through shelling. The chances of a body being recovered in these circumstance would be slim. First newspaper reports show him as "missing" (South Eastern Gazette, 15th June 1915) and it is not until much later that his death is confirmed. So, how were his final days spent?

On 14th April, 2nd Battalion The Buffs were relieved to billets 1 mile east of YPRES.


Washing poisonous GasThen all hell broke loose, with the opening of the Second Battle of Ypres between 22nd April and 15th May - hostilities in which Leonard Terry lost his life (presumed 3rd May and only one day later than the recorded death of George Abraham Hall, a fellow Teynham man). Personal recollections from members of the 2nd Battalion, of the first few days can be read using this link. In the meantime, the regimental diary records....

On 22nd April, 2nd Battalion (The Buffs) sent Lieutenant G. R. Howe to fetch a fresh draft of men to make good the recent losses of officers and men. There follows a story of confusion and desperation around the first use of poison gas.

"5 pm: Sudden sharp outburst of Artillery fire and rattle of musketry from NW (North West) gradually ceasing and followed a little later by a powerful reek of escaped gas. Half an hour after, French troops appear in scattered twos and threes retiring across the open fields from the N and NW. It was at once apparent that something was wrong, for machine gun and rifle fire sounded within 1,000 yards of ST JEAN and bullets were spattering into the village.
Without any bustle or confusion all the Canadian billets turned out and fell in. Two battalions of the 85th Brigade, the 2nd Buffs and 3rd Middlesex and also the 4th Kings Own Royal Lancasters all under Colonel A D Giddes. The Buffs likewise immediately stood to arms.

Meanwhile French Zouanes and Turcos were stumbling down the road towards YPRES. It was an astonishing sight to see the British troops standing nonchalantly in the main street of ST JEAN and the Canadians calmly marching N and NE the direction from which the Frenchmen were returned..."

Out of this confusion and the gap in defences created, the local military structure was rapidly reconfigured under Canadians in command. The Buffs (without Company "B"):

"were ordered to march to WIELTJE and move thence in a northerly direction to get in touch with the left of the 3rd Canadian Brigade. It was after 4am and broad daylight before the battalion was collected and had got under way. Major R.E. Power was in command and put out an advanced guard under Captain Marnard. About 800 yards N of WIELTJE some dug-outs and trenches were reached. These were occupied by Canadians.
These trenches were screened by a hedge under cover of which the battalion closed up. Beyond was open country so the battalion at once deployed and was immediately subjected to furious machine gun and rifle fire from the enemy who were entrenched in two parallel lines about 1200 and 900 yards distant on rising sloped to the north."

The German deployment of gas against French troops was a game-changer. It created confusion and very nearly punched a hole through Allied defences. Rapid response and leadership by the Canadians helped save that day. But from 22nd onwards, casualties increased sharply. The danger facing Leonard Terry and his comrades was severe, as shown by the loss of Company "B".

On 24th April...

"D" Company under Lieut J.B. Sharp was moved into position across the WIELTJE - ST.JULIEN Road at the urgent request of the 3rd Canadian Brigade.
"B" Company under Capt F.W. Tomlinson were completely surrounded and cut off together with a number of Canadians in ST JULIEN. 2/Lieut C.W. Laing was killed and the three other officers of the Company are reported to have been wounded. The Company is missing and the survivors are believed to have been made prisoners.
25th April: All day our trenches shelled, particularly heavily in the afternoon when the enemy were attacking and being counter attacked in ST JULIEN. "D" Company relieved by Canadians returned to the same trench along GHQ line joining "A" Company's right flank. The Battalion was now holding a position with 3 Companies in the firing line.
26th April: Counter attacks made on enemy's position from direction of ST. JEAN and on ST JULIEN, ordered to coordinate but only to leave trenches if operation successful.
Subjected all day to heavy shelling, enemy attempting to destroy wire entanglements with little success. Our casualties wonderfully few considering the hundreds of shells that burst around and over us.
Men suffered considerably from the poisonous fumes given off by the enemy's shells.
27th April: Relieved by 4th Battalion, Rifle Brigade, battalion moved back to dug outs in ST JEAN, shelled all day. Lieut. G.R. Howe rejoined.
28th April: To the great relief of all ranks, the battalion received order from Colonel Geddes to rejoin the 85th Brigade at VERLORENHOEK.
Colonel Geddes' composite Brigade is now broken up.
A shell entered the room in the Brigade HQ in which C.L. Giddens was sitting, killed the Colonel and severely wounded his staff officer, Capt. Crighton."

1915 Ypres-Zafenstafel front

Losses were severe for the 3rd Royal Fusiliers who had relieved The Buffs in the firing line on 22nd April. The Buffs returned on 27th April to relieve the 3rd Royal Fusiliers in their old trenches in the GRAFENSTAFEL area and they saw a surprising lull in fighting through to the end of the month.

"May 1st: 8pm: Enemy active in shelling our whole trench line.
Moved draft into new support trench behind wood near D.4 and 5.

May 2nd: Very heavy shelling all day to which our artillery were unable to reply.
Draft in new support trench had a most trying baptism of fire.
Captains L. Howard Smith and H.L. Archer Houblon with draft of 34 men arrived and were moved into trenches D4 and D5. Reinforced by remainder 3rd Royal Fusiliers, one company occupying new support trench and remainder in dug outs near Battalion HQ."

[Note: By this time, the Regimental Diary had stopped keeping a daily tally of deaths in "other ranks". However, it was during this period that George died, and it appears certain that he was killed during the unanswered shelling of the trenches occupied by The Buffs in the GRAFENSTAFEL area. Many men were buried by the shell fire]

"May 3rd: From early dawn enemy commenced mortaring and shelling D4 and 5 and the new Support trench in a relentless and determined manner.

7.30 am: Captain Houblon reported many casualties, his parapet blown in at many points and the situation critical. Soon after reports arrived from D1 and D3 that enemy were moving in force over from our right to our left and appeared to be massing behind houses in front of D5.

Enemy continued fierce shelling with crumps, high explosive shrapnel and whizbangs to which our artillery made little or no reply. It was a most nerve-racking and trying period for all troops concerned. A state of affairs existed which was almost intolerable.

3.30 pm: Enemy opened rapid from several batteries of whiz bangs on to the remainder of the parapet of D4 and 5. The bombardment sounded like machine gun fire from field guns it was so rapid and incessant. A little later the enemy walked into D5, there being few if any left to resist them. Captain L. Howard Smith, Lieut G.R. Howe with some 80 men of "C" Company had occupied the trench in this whole party is now missing and it is believed most of them were killed or wounded.

The Germans now occupied the woods behind D5, a movement which made D4 quite untenable and they were held up however by a small party of Buffs under 2/Lieut Backhouse (?) and a company of Royal Fusiliers under Captain Ford who gallantly held on to the new support trench despite fearsome enfilade fire from heavy howitzers and other artillery. Capt Hablon and Lieut Sharp and remainder of "D" Company who were still holding D4 were now being enfiladed by Germans from D5 and taken in reverse from the wood. Captain Hablon therefore was compelled to retire along the trench line, a movement which was carried out steadily. The Germans were still pressing forward and soon occupied a portion of the new support trench where it joined D4. Our men and the enemy were now only a few yards apart, unfortunately the enemy were in greater numbers and far stronger situation. Many of the enemy were shot especially when they filed out of the wood in front of D5. In the retirement we also lost heavily.

The two last men in D4 were Company Sergeant Major Post and No.7852 Private F Campbell both of "C" Company. These two bravely kept the enemy off while the others got away and were able eventually both to follow under very heavy fire.

5 pm: Lieut. Sharp was wounded but was able with the survivors of Captain Hablon party to reach D3 and later to D1 held by Captain Barnard with "A" Company. When the Musketry and machine gun fire opened in the wood, Major Power and Major Johnstone instantly decided to send up the support company to the ridge SW of the wood with the object of checking the enemy's advance and of reinforcing Capt Tod's (?) Company in the new support trench. The exact situation at the time was unknown. On the way up, Major Power was wounded in the chest.

From about 3.45 pm to 6 pm the enemy plastered, bombarded and searched the ridge with an inferno of artillery fire, but the Royal Fusiliers and a few of the 4th East Yorkshires stood their ground and the enemy shared no inclination to advance from the wood. Any moment our people hoped to hear our Artillery open, but hoped in vain. If only our guns could have got onto the wood, the enemy must have suffered heavily. As it was the contest was an unequal one. It was our infantry alone against the enemy's infantry in face and a most powerful combination of the enemy's artillery. Fortunately for us the attack of the enemy's infantry lacked push and determination.

Things quieted down towards dusk, the enemy contenting himself with remaining where he was, enabling our retirement which was ordered for the night 3/4 May to be carried out quite steadily with a minimum of loss, all wounded men, spare ammunition and tools being brought away.

4th May: The remnants of the battalion moved back to a wood near POPERINGHE where it bivouacked. [Lieutenant A.J. Peareth and draft of - blank - other ranks joined.]

5th-6th May: Congratulated by General Plomer and General Bulfin on excellent work carried out by battalion.

8th May:-
8.30 am: Very heavy artillery bombardment heard from daybreak, at 8.30am battalion ordered to hold itself at readiness to move at a moment's notice.

9.15 am: Marched to B Camp West of YPRES and later to GHQ Line East of POTIJZE where battalion was in reserve South of YPRES POTIJZE where battalion was in reserve south of YPRES ZONNEBEKE Road.

10.00 pm: Took over portion of advanced trench line South of VERLORENHOEK on ZONNEBEKE Road from remnants of York and Lancaster, 3rd Middlesex and East Yorkshire Regiments. Trenches in poor state, parapet much demolished by shell fire. Ordered to hold on to trenches at all costs. Trenches shelled intermittently all day. "B" Company dug themselves in in a support trench 200 yards behind fire trench.
Heavy shelling all day, particularly on "A" Company's trench.

11.00 pm: Relieved by 2nd Life Guards, battalion marched back to its old bivouac East of POPERINGHE. 85th Brigade ordered to Army Reserve and to move to billets West of POPERINGHE but night 13th/14th, 2nd Buffs ordered to join Composite Brigade under Brigadier General Bols (?) consisting of 2/Buffs, 2/Northumberland Fusiliers, 2/ Cheshires, 1/Welch, 1/York & Lancaster and to remain in present bivouac and ready to move at short notice."

This need to create a "Composite Brigade" illustrates just what a terrible price had been paid during the opening of the 2nd Battle of Ypres and the first use of gas. And so the battle continued, but without Leonard Terry ... who fell under the barrage of shelling that destroyed and collapsed many trenches in the LANGEMARK/GRAFENSTAFEL area. His body was never found so he is commemorated on the Ypres/Ieper-Menin Gate, one of 54,400 casualties.

A summary of losses was given in the Regimental Diary:-

"Casualties. 22nd April to 4th May
Officers Killed: 5. Colonel A.D. Geddes; Captain J. McB Ronald; Lieut E.H.U. Battenshaw; 2/Lieut C.W. Laing; 2/Lieut Featherstonhaugh Frampton.
Officers Wounded: 9. Major R.E. Power; Lieut A.D. Williams; Lieut J.B. Sharp; Lieut D.V. Thomas; 2/Lieut L.M.S. Essell; 2/Lieut E.B. Bailshouse; 2/Lieut R.M. Watson; 2/Lieut G. Seath; 2/Lieut S. Rivers.
Missing, reported Wounded: 3. Capt F.W. Tomlinson; Lieut G.R. Howe; 2/Lieut W.G. Jackson.
Missing: 2. Capt L. Howard Smith; Lieut A.L.D. Ryder.

The other rank casualties are most difficult to account for particularly in respect of the 150 men of the two drafts that arrived on 30th April and 1st May respectively. These men's names were not known. Also many men were buried in the trenches and it was impossible to obtain identity discs.
The following figures are approximate, it is certain however that many others have been killed, including the majority of the above mentioned drafts.
Killed: 67; Wounded: 259; Wounded and missing: 13; Missing: 363."

Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) lists 497 casualties for East Kent (The Buffs) Regiment across the whole war; most appear in Panel 12 and 14. These are men without known graves or remains, 135 of which fell on 3rd May 1915.

A total of around 144 Buffs died on 3rd May 1915, this suggests that only 9 casualties (* asterisked in the table below) were identified for that day! Over half (78) The Buffs killed that day (78) were "old contemptibles" (British Expeditionary Force - prefixed "L"); the remainder were recent recruits from Kitchener's New Army (Territorials):-

Alphabetical List - The Buffs (East Kent) Regiment: Killed in Action on 3rd May 1915 ("Assumed", because this was a day of intense fighting and no bodies were retrieved)

Buffs (East Kent) Regiment - Assumed Death Date of 3rd May 1915
Name Birth Location Regimental Number age Rank Additional Information (CWGC)
Ernest Charles Adams St. John's, Margate, Kent G/4851 21 Private Son of Amelie Adams; Husband of Alice Maud Bessant (formerly Adams), Of Government Road, Ash Vale, Aldershot.
Harry Thomas Akhurst* Milton, Kent G/5015      
George Allen Sidcup, Kent L/7633   Private  
Arthur Edward Appleton Whitstable, Kent G/5019 21 Private Son of the Late Mr. and Mrs M. A. Appleton.
William Walter Appleton Ramsgate, Kent G/4953 18 Private Son of Martha E. Appleton. of 9, Garden Road, Tunbridge Wells, and the Late William J. Appleton.
Henry Baker All Saints, Maidstone S/10530 21 Private Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Baker, of 18, Bonney's Yard, King Street, Maidstone, Kent.
James Alfred Bell Lambeth, Surrey G/1008 28 Lance Corporal Son of Alfred Bell; Husband of Laura Isabel Batt, (formerly Bell), of 31, Thorparch Road, Wandsworth Road, London.
William James Blewitt Ramsgate, Kent L/9669 21 Private Son of the Late Mr. and Mrs. Blewitt.
William Bolton Greenhithe, Kent L/7677 31 Private Husband of Isabel Mary Bolton, of 93, Knockall Road, Greenhithe, Kent.
Albert Broughton Strood, Kent L/9225   Lance Corporal  
John Brown St. Phillip's, Maidstone, Kent G/146   Lance Corporal  
Ernest Brunger* Headcorn, Near Ashford, Kent L/8140      
Herbert Edward Burcham Marylebone, Middlesex. G/4406   Private  
Thomas Burgess Rolvenden, Kent S/684 37 Private Son of the Late Thomas and Caroline Burgess.
Charles James Burns Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare, Ireland L/4672   Private  
William Butcher Kingstown, Doddington L/8470 25 Private Son of Mrs. Louisa Matilda Butcher, of 28, Frederick Street, Sittingbourne, Kent.
Charles Carr Gillingham, Kent L/8306   Private  
John Carthew Monkton, Kent S/60   Private  
Albert James Clark High Halden, Kent L/8489 27 Private Son of Charles Clark, of Bond Cottage, Kingsnorth, Ashford, Kent.
Spencer Arthur Collins Hawkhurst, Kent G/1381 25 Private Son of Henry and Charlotte Collins, of Fowler's Park Gardens, Hawkhurst, Kent.
Thomas George Collins Peckham, Surrey S/10704 17 Private Son of Thomas George Collins, of 17, Fenham Road, Peckham Road, Peckham, London, and the Late Agnes Collins.
Joseph G. Cork Canterbury, Kent G/4831   Private  
Ernest Augustus Corry Leytonstone, Essex L/8242 29 Private  
John Henry Coulbeck Sheffield, Yorks G/4478   Private  
Thomas James Couzens Lambeth, Surrey S/849 33 Private Son of Jesse and Emma Couzens, of Model Dairy, Western Road, Tring, Herts. Served in the South African Campaign.
William John Cremer Silvertown, Essex L/9337 21 Corporal "D" Coy Croix de Guerre with Palm (France). Son of Mrs. E. Russell, of 8, Auberon Street, North Woolwich, London.
George Albert Crickett Deal, Kent L/8657 25 Private Son of Richard Crickett.
James Stanley Croft Detling, Kent G/4677 20 Private Son of Fred Croft, of Oak Cottage, Ware Street, Bearsted, Kent.
Ernest D'Oyley St. John's Chatham, Kent L/10144 21 Private Son of T. G. and Sarah Ann D'Oyley, of 12, Caroline Street, Ordnance Place, Chatham, Kent.
Arthur Day* Dartford, Kent G/4601      
John Wildman Dennis Lambeth, Surrey L/8254   Private  
John Doubtfire* Bermondsey, Surrey G/4836      
Richard Dray Withyam, Sussex S/585   Private  
Arthur Percy Duckworth Harpenden, Herts L/8367 29 Corporal Son of the late Arthur James East Duckworth and Annie Duckworth.
Christopher Elliott Croydon, Surrey L/9888 20 Private Son of Mrs. Clara Woodhams, of 21, Perry Street, Ordnance Place, Chatham.
Frank Erridge Polgate, Eastbourne, Sussex L/9418   Private  
George Frederick Excell* Hawkenbury, Kent L/7072      
Frederick Albert Fallowes St. Matthew's, Cambridge S/10765 19 Private Son of Albert Edward and Alice Ann Fallowes of 128, Sturton Street, Cambridge.
William Francis Fendom Deptford, Kent L/7529 30 Private Son of Eleanor Isabella Draper (formerly Fendom), of 3, Longley Road, Rochester, Kent.
John Finn Greenwich, Kent S/357   Private  
John Thomas Fishenden Kilndown, Tunbridge Wells L/8707 26 Private Son of John and Kate Fishenden, of 8, Chantler's Cottages, Chiddingstone, Kent.
John Edward Flick Maidstone, Kent L/9231 23 Private Son of William henry and Ruth Mary Flick, of 19, Belle Alliance Square, Ramsgate, Kent.
Robert Folley Auchenlick, Ayrshire G/676   Private  
John Henry Fordham Ramsgate, Kent G/4763   Private  
Frank Foster Tonbridge, Kent L/7991 27 Private Husband of Gertrude Edith Foster, of 168, Vale Road, Tonbridge, Kent.
Frederick William Fowler Boro' Green, Kent L/9653   Private  
James Henry Fremlin Snodland, Kent L/9651   Private  
Thomas Edward Fruin St. John's, Margate, Kent L/9894 22 Lance Corporal Son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Fruin, of 82, Milton Road, Margate, Kent.
Edward Gambell Malta L/9112 30 Private "C" Coy Son of Edward Gambell; Husband of Alice Amelia Green (formerly Gambell), of Atholville, Restigouche County, New Brunswick, Canada.
Harry Goddard St. Gregory's, Canterbury, Kent L/8361   Serjeant  
William George Thomas Gouge Hoo, Chatham, Kent L/9092   Private  
Charles Gurr Cranbrook, Kent S/491   Private  
William George Hall Walthamstow, Essex L/9365   Private  
Joseph Edward Hambrose St. Lawrence, Ramsgate, Kent S/307 34 Private Son of the Late mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hambrose; Husband of Mary Alice Hambrose, of 1, Gray's Cottage, Golders Green, London.
George William Hance Bethersden, Kent G/5107   Private Husband of Lilian M. Hance, of 3, Knatchbull Place, New Street, Ashford, Kent.
George Henry Handy Silverdale, Staffs G/4624   Private  
Michael Nicholas Hannon Hougham, Kent G/5449 39 Private Husband of Elizabeth Jane honey (formerly Hannon), of 21, St. John's Street, Folkestone.
Alfred William Harlow Hoo, Rochester, Kent L/9371   Private  
John Harris Holy Trinity, Ramsgate, Kent L/8406 27 Serjeant Son of Elizabeth Harris, of 12, Artillery Hill, Ramsgate; Husband of Amy Deverson (formerly Harris), of 18, Union Street, Canterbury.
Arthur Charles Reginald Hart Hastings, Sussex S/9151   Private  
Benjamin Thomas Hawkins Wingham, Canterbury, Kent S/10274   Private  
William Hayward Dover, Kent L/8436 27 Private "D" Coy Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Hayward, of 52, Primrose Road, Dover. Served 6 Years.
Ernest William Hazeldin Colchester, Essex S/52   Private  
Ernest Head Barnsbury, Middx. G/1006   Private  
Henry Thomas Hines Woolwich, Kent S/8398 31 Lance Corporal Son of Jabez and Jane Hines; Husband of Helen Hines, of 20, Livingstone Street, New Backton, East Ham, London.
George Hird Strood, Kent G/5815 39 Private Son of the Late George Hird; Step-son of Emma Hird, of 85, Frindsbury hill, Strood, Kent. Also served in India.
George Hoare Chilham, Kent L/9716 20 Private Son of Algred and Fanny Hoare, of "Whitehill," Chilham, Kent.
Thomas Hoare Throwley, Faversham, Kent L/9967 28 Private Son of James and Julia Hoare, of North Street, Sheldwich, Faversham, Kent.
George William Verney Holmes Hadlow, Kent G/4679 29 Private Son of Richard and Lavina Holmes, of Ware Street, Thurnham, Bearsted, Kent; Husband of Gertrude Cecilia Dorothy Tolhurst (formerly Holmes), of Caring Farm, Leeds, Maidstone, Kent.
William Thomas Hope Ramsgate, Kent S/605 44 Private "A" Coy Husband of Alice Elizabeth Hope, of 22, Monkton Place, High Street, Ramsgate.
Arthur Hoper Dymchurch, Kent S/9594 22 Private Son of Richard and Mary Ann Hoper, of Rock Cottage, High Street, Dymchurch, Kent.
Joseph Horrigan Deptford, Kent L/10176   Private  
Leonard Ingram Hollingbourne, Kent L/9021 27 Private Son of Charles and Mary Ann Ingram, of Chapel Estate, East Farleigh, Maidstone.
Arthur John Jarvest Chorlton, Kent G/5186 32 Private Son of Mrs. M. Jarvest, of 48, Tower Hamlets Rd, Dover.
Ernest Jones Burwash, Sussex G/4657   Private  
Edgar Judd Maidstone, Kent L/9031   Lance Corporal  
Alfred Charles Kendall St. John's, Margate, Kent S/802 32 Private Son of George Kendall, of 16, Vale View Road, Dover; Husband of Annie Bethia Kendall, of 72, Wrotham Road, Camden Town, London.
Arthur William King Islington, Middx. G/889 20 Private Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. King, of 47, Hollingsworth Street, Holloway, London; Husband of Helen King.
William Charles Knight Seaham, Harbour, Co. Durham L/9139   Private  
Harry Lane Sydenham, Kent S/10688 18 Private "D" Coy SON OF JAMES AND MATILDA LANE, OF 22, HOLMSHAW RD., LOWER SYDENHAM, LONDON.
Henry Arthur Leslie Blackfriars, Surrey G/3429   Private  
William George Lewis Peckham, Surrey S/10662   Private  
Bernard William Francis Lott Athlone, Co. Westmeath L/9799   Private  
William John Maloney Canning Town, Essex G/4595 21 Private SON OF MARGARET MALONEY, OF 56, MARY ST., CANNING TOWN, LONDON.
Richard Mannings St. Gregory's, Canterbury, Kent G/5731 43 Private HUSBAND OF ROSE MANNINGS, OF 6, WINCHEAP ST., CANTERBURY.
Frederick Charles Manser St. John's, Margate, Kent L/8430 30 Private SON OF RICHARD AND CELIA NEVELL MANSER, OF 31, WINDMILL ST., ST. PETER'S, TUNBRIDGE WELLS.
Percy William Millard Finglesham, Nr. Deal, Kent L/8971   Private  
Percy James Mills Croydon, Surrey L/7548   Lance Corporal  
Maurice Mitchell Chatham, Kent L/9166 22 Corporal "C" Coy SON OF WILLIAM JAMES AND CLARA ANN MITCHELL, OF 47, LOWFIELD ST., DARTFORD, KENT.
Bernard Moore Fulham, Middx. L/9380   Private  
Charles Morris* St. Ann's, London, Middx. G/739      
William James Mount Herne Bay, Kent L/9601 24 Private BROTHER OF MRS. L. CALVERT, OF 4, HARRISON SQUARE, WHITTAKER ST., CHATHAM.
Owen McNamara Ballaclough, Co. Cork G/4404   Private  
Charles Oclee Ramsgate, Kent S/673   Private  
John Palmer Dover, Kent L/10204   Lance Corporal  
Henry Pankhurst East Malling, Kent L/9246 26 Corporal SON OF FREDERICK AND JANE PANKHURST, OF 73, SOUTH EASTERN RD., RAMSGATE.
William Parker Springfield, Barham, Kent G/787   Private  
Hedley Parsons Chatham, Kent L/8300 28 Private SON OF MR. W. AND MRS. KATE PARSONS, OF 57, OLD RD., CHATHAM.
John Francis Payne Curragh, Co. Kildare, Ireland L/9784 21 Private SON OF JOHN AND FANNY PAYNE, OF 6, FLINT COTTAGES, EAST RAINHAM, KENT.
John George Pearson St. Pancras, Middx. S/10780 21 Private SON OF JOHN CHARLES AND ELLEN PEARSON, OF 13, TONGE PARK, FINSBURY PARK, LONDON.
Ernest Henry Petts Aldershot, Hants L/8632 24 Serjeant SON OF ERNEST AND EDITH PETTS, OF 23, ST. RADIGUNDS ST., CANTERBURY.
Sidney Pippard Shepherd's Bush, Middx. G/4680   Private  
Louis Frederick Quittenden Otford, Sevenoaks, Kent L/8750 27 Private SON OF THE LATE JONATHAN AND MARY QUITTENDEN.
Vincent Daniel Richardson Ash, Nr. Canterbury, Kent L/8505   Private  
Alexander Ridlington Islington, Middx. L/6030   Private  
Alexander Rowe West Ham, Essex L/5668 36 Private HUSBAND OF ADA MAUD ROWE, OF 16, BEACONSFIELD RD., LEYTON, LONDON.
Edward Rye St. Saviour's, Folkestone, Kent L/8715 25 Private SON OF CHARLES GILBERT RYE AND SARAH ANN RYE, OF 18, ATHELSTAN RD., FOLKESTONE.
Alfred Charles Saxby* St. John's, Margate, Kent S/414      
Edward George Shorter Byfleet, Hants L/9570   Private  
John Shrubsole Hastingleigh, Ashford, Kent L/8397   Lance Corporal  
Arthur Thomas John Smith St. Paul's, Maidstone, Kent L/10036 20 Lance Corporal SON OF THOMAS WILLIAM AND ALICE CLARA SMITH, OF 24, PERRYFIELD ST., MAIDSTONE, KENT.
Frederick Smith Greenwich, Kent G/4912 46 Private SON OF MR. AND MRS. SMITH, OF 20, REGENT ST., BLACKHEATH HILL, LEWISHAM, LONDON.
William Thomas Smith Faversham, Kent L/9391 22 Private BROTHER OF MRS. E. A. PAGE, OF 39, MARINE PARADE, DOVER.
Albert James Stuckey Forest Hill, Kent L/9098   Lance Corporal  
Wilfred Ward Sunderland Whitehaven, Cumberland L/4621   Private  
George Taylor Croydon, Surrey L/9989   Private  
Edward Terry St. Paul's, Ramsgate, Kent L/8421   Private  
Leonard Terry Teynham, Kent L/8780   Private  
Henry Walter Turner* West Ham, Essex G/4585      
Thomas Twyman Ramsgate, Kent G/4651   Private  
James Veness Penshurst, Nr. Battle, Sussex G/1380 36 Private SON OF JOHN AND SARAH ANN VENESS, OF HAWKHURST, KENT.
Arthur John Vincent Camden Town, Middx. G/831   Private  
James Edward Waghorn Battersea, Surrey L/7239   Private  
William James Richardson Ward Sutton, Notts L/8624 26 Private SON OF MR. AND MRS. WARD, OF 3, STANLEY COTTAGES, NEW RD., SALTWOOD, HYTHE, KENT.
Benjamin Watson Deptford, Kent S/229   Private  
Horatio Edwin Weeden Kensington, Middx. G/885 29 Lance Corporal SON OF FRANCIS WEEDEN, OF 113, VICTORIA RD., SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, ESSEX, AND THE LATE WILLIAM WEEDEN.
Charles Williams Biddenden, Kent L/10316 21 Private SON OF JAMES AND ANNIE WILLIAMS, OF THE STREET, EGERTON, KENT.
Wesley Wise Bradfield, Reading, Berks L/8239 29 Private SON OF GEORGE AND MARY WISE, OF 46, HERCULES ST., LANDPORT, PORTSMOUTH.
Alec Henry Wood* Chilham, Canterbury, Kent L/9065      
Bernard Joseph Woodward Arundel, Sussex S/10736 19 Private "B" Coy SON OF MR. AND MRS. T. C. WOODWARD, OF 36, SANDHURST RD., CATFORD, LONDON.
Alexander William Wotherspoon Christchurch, Ramsgate, Kent L/9071   Private  
George Alexander Wyatt Dover, Kent L/8540 23 Lance Corporal "D" Coy SON OF MR. G. A. WYATT, OF 17, GREAT FENCHURCH ST., FOLKESTONE, KENT, AND THE LATE MRS. WYATT.
John Wynder Deptford, Kent L/6570   Lance Corporal  

Note: Those marked with an asterisk (*) are not on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, so do have a known grave.

IWM Partnership Programm  iconWorld War 1 Pages