First World War Project

Home News - August 1914

Local Tragedy of Fanny Judges reported on 1st August.

Not strictly in the time-frame of World War 1, but would have been in the minds of those in the Parish and nearby.

East Kent Gazette and the South Eastern Gazette of 1st August 1914

"Tragic Affair at Lynsted - Woman drowned in a well - Husband's unavailing efforts at rescue" (East Kent Gazette)

Death Announced: Judges – July 27th at Rose Cottage, Dadmans, Lynsted, Fanny Frances, the beloved wife of Charles Henry Judges, aged 44 years.

"Tragic Affair at Lynsted - Woman drowned in a well - Husband's unavailing efforts at rescue" (South Eastern Gazette)

In the middle of a smiling orchard in one of the most beautiful parts of this district a tragedy, which caused quite a sensation in the quiet country neighbourhood, occurred on Monday night. The victim was Mrs. Fanny Judges, wife of Charles Henry Judges, a gardener at Lynsted Lodge, and the details, as related at the Coroner's inquest, which was held at Rose Cottage, Dadmans, Lynsted, on Wednesday afternoon, were of a particularly painful character.

Mr. Charles B. Harris, county coroner, conducted the inquest, and the jury was composed of the following gentlemen, viz:- Messrs. W.R.Farmer (foreman), W. Mears, J.J.Dence, C.R.Busbridge, F.Smith, R.M. Packman, E.Champion, W.Russell, W.Smith, and A.S.George.

Charles Henry Judges, gardener, Japonica House, Ludgate-road, Lynsted, identified the body as that of his wife, who, he said, was 44 years of age. Up to about two months ago, he continued, she had very good health, but within the last two months she had been rather strange in her manner; she had expressed fear of her health, and said she thought she would never get over it. She had been attended by Drs Selby and Henderson. She had been living with his mother at Rose Cottage, Dadman's, for about three weeks, as she felt lonely in the village with practically everybody away fruit picking, and nobody to speak to. Before leaving for work about six o'clock on Monday morning he took her up a cup of tea, and she seemed very cheerful. He saw her again at breakfast time and dinner time, and she still seemed the same and when he came home to tea he thought she looked better than she had done for months. They were going to Hastings by motor for a day's outing the following day, and she had been looking forward to it. She had a good tea, and was very cheerful all the evening. In the evening he cut some sandwiches to take with them the next day, and while he did so she stood beside him laughing and joking. Just before they had supper she said "I wonder whether father has closed the gate, meaning the gate leading into the garden, and she then went outside, , leaving the door on the jar. Shortly after, his sister went out to see if his wife had been able to open the gate, as it was difficult to open, and came running back, saying that she was not there. He went out to look for his wife, and on going round the corner of the house he saw that the lid of the well in the orchard was up. The hurdles surrounding the well were not open. His suspicions being aroused, he called his sister back from the top of the orchard, and said to her, "My God, I think she is down the well." His mother and father then came out and he (witness) ran up the road for help. he found Mr. Russell and immediately ran back again. On reaching the well again, his father remarked "I wonder if she has put the well lid up just to frighten us," and to make sure witness called "Fanny" up the orchard. His mother said she thought she heard something down the well, and witness then called down the well, "Lovey, are you there!" and he got the answer "Be quick." He immediately lowered the rope, and called to her to hold fast to it. She did so, and he commenced to draw her up, but she slipped and fell back into the water. The well was 70 or 80 feet deep, and there was 20 or 30 feet of water in it. He ran the rope down again, and shouted to her to catch hold of it, and hold to it, as somebody had gone to get more help. She caught hod of the rope and called up faintly, "Be quick," and witness tried to draw her clear of the water.

The Coroner: Did you lower the bucket?
Witness: No. I didn't think of that at the time.
The Coroner: If you had it would have been something for her to rest on.

Continuing, witness said he drew his wife clear of the water, but she called out "I can't hold on. Be quick." She then slipped off the rope, and the last he heard of her was a moan and a long breath. He then ran to the forge, and asked Mr. Busbridge to go up with a grab hook, and it was about two hours later when the body was recovered..

In answer to the Coroner, witness said that a man volunteered to go down the well while he (witness) was away, but the curb of the well was not safe. "Some time ago," added witness, when he thought she was going to swallow her false teeth, he took them from her, and when he would not let her have them again, she said, "I will never do anything to myself, Lovey. I love you too much ever to go away from you."

William Edward Russell, labourer, St. Christoper's Row, Lynsted, said that about twenty minutes to nine on Monday night the previous witness came to him, and told him he had lost his wife, and that he thought she might be down the well. They both ran down the road as fast as they could, and when they arrived at the well they shouted down it, but received no reply. Witness went round the orchard looking for her, and when he got back to the well deceased's husband was drawing her up out of the well. Just as witness arrived he heard deceased slip back into the water. The rope was again lowered, and witness ran off to get another rope and more help. When he got back he could hear nothing of deceased in the well.

In answer to the Coroner, witness said that several men would have gone down the well, but the curb was not considered safe.

Dr. J.F. Henderson, Greenstreet, said that about 9.30 on Monday night he received a message about deceased being in the well, and he was present when the body was brought up. Life was totally extinct; rigor mortis had set in, and it was useless to try artificial respiration. There were no external injuries on the body, except slight abrasions on the right arm and right leg, which might have been caused by the grab hook. The cause of death was, in his opinion, drowning. Along with Dr. Selby, he attended deceased in June, when she gave him the impression that there was something on her mind. She had delusions. Neither witness nor Dr. Selby felt justified in certifying her insane, as it was a border line case. She improved very rapidly, got rid of her delusions, and seemed quite normal again. They warned the relatives, however, to watch her closely, and he thought they did so to the best of their ability. In his opinion deceased had probably had a sudden irresistible impulse to throw herself down the well.

After the Coroner had reviewed the evidence the Jury returned a verdict of "Suicide during a fit of insanity."

After the jury had given heir verdict Dr. Henderson said that Mr. Judges, the husband, had been extremely unwell himself for a long time, and he would no doubt be very much upset when he discovered his wife was in the well.

The Coroner said he had no doubt Mr.Judges did the best he could, and the Jury entirely agreed.

Claiming the Moral High Ground....

East Kent Gazette of 1st August 1914
Most of us believe we have in the country the best system of government in the world. We have neither the autocracy of a Czar or Kaiser on the one hand, nor the turmoil of perpetually changing Presidents on the other. Our constitutional monarchy is a link which binds all classes altogether, and it would be a thousand pities if recent events should in any degree weaken the confidence and affection reposed in the Throne. It would be idle to pretend that in some quarters there has not been a disposition to accuse the King of having made a new and disquieting departure by intervening to promote a settlement of the Irish question but in this the King only followed the example and precedent set by his reefed grandmother in 1884, when Queen Victoria suggested a friendly meeting between party leaders, which eventually led to a settlement of the deadlock over the franchise question. In material and moral progress, the reigns of King George and his immediate predecessors stand unrivalled in the world, and in calling together the Buckingham Palace Conference, the King was not departing from the strictest constitutional procedure. It may therefore be hoped that when the bitterness aroused in regard to a highly controversial matter has passed away, here will be no weakening of loyalty towards one upon whom the cares of State weight with undeniable force."

The untangling of civilians from military operations

Dover Express of 7th August 1914

The Rush from the Continent. Scenes at Dover.
Exciting scenes were witnessed on the Admiralty Pier at Dover during the whole of the weekend, on the arrival of the Continental boats from Calais and Ostend. The mail packet Princess Henriette, on Monday [2nd August], from Ostend, was literally packed with people, 1,200 being crowded on the decks and occupying every inch of space. When they arrived they gave hearty cheers. Most of the people were excursionist who had had to cut short their holidays, but many of them were foreigners, largely women and children, seeking refuge in England......The passengers who returned on Monday were in a sorry plight. In numerous cases families and friends had been divided and left behind at Ostend in the crush. Some were without tickets and without money. In numerous cases baggage was lost even when it had been registered, and passengers had to return without it. There were one or two cases of children who had been separated from their parents. These were kindly looked after by the railway officials. Large numbers stayed in Dover.

A State of War

His Majesty's Government informed the German Government on August 4th, 1914, that, unless a satisfactory reply to the request of His Majesty's Government for an assurance that Germany would respect the neutrality of Belgium was received by midnight of that day, His Majesty's Government would feel bound to take all steps in their power to uphold that neutrality and the observance of a treaty to which Germany was as much a party as Great Britain.
The result of this communication having been that His Majesty's Ambassador at Berlin had to ask for his passports, His Majesty's Government have accordingly formally notified the German Government that a state of war exists between the two countries as from 11 p.m. to-day.

Foreign Office,
August 4th, 1914.

Embodiment of the Territorials

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald of 8th August 1914

A Royal Proclamation under the King's own hand was read by Mr. Asquith in the House of Commons on Tuesday [4th of August] calling out the army Reserve and embodying the Territorials.
These operations have already been begun, and the call to arms is meeting with a rapid and enthusiastic response.
The Fleet is already on a full war footing. The Army will likewise be so in the course of the next few days.

The King's Proclamation


WHEREAS by the Law of Our Realm it is Our undoubted prerogative and the duty of all our loyal subjects acting in Our Behalf in times of imminent national danger to take all such measures as may be necessary for securing the public safety and the defence of Our Realm:
And whereas the present state of public affairs in Europe is such as to constitution an imminent national danger.
NOW, THEREFORE, We strictly command and enjoin Our subjects to obey and conform to all instructions and regulations which may be issued by Us or Our Admiralty or Army Council, or any officer of Our Navy or Army, or any other person acting in Our behalf for securing the objects aforesaid, and not to hinder or obstruct, but to afford all assistance in their power to, any person acting in accordance with any such instructions or regulations or otherwise in the execution of any measures duly taken for securing those objects.
Given at Our Court at Buckingham Palace, this Fourth day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fourteen, and in the Fifth year of Our Reign.

At the Court at Buckingham Palace,
The 3rd day of August, 1914,
The KING'S Most Excellent Majesty in Council.

Whereas there was this day read at the Board a memorial from the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, in the words following, viz:-

"WHEREAS we are of opinion that the present state of Public Affairs justifies Officers of the Reserved and Retired Lists being called into Active Service temporarily; we would humbly submit that your Majesty will be pleased to authorize us to call on such Officers to hold themselves in readiness for Active Service, and to sanction our employing any of such Officers as we may think fit. We would also submit that compulsory retirement from the Active List on account of age be suspended in such cases as we think fit."

HIS MAJESTY, having taken the said Memorial into consideration, was pleased, by and with the advice of his Privy Council, to approve of what is therein proposed. And the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty are to give the necessary directions herein accordingly.

ALMERIC FITZROY [Clerk to the Privy Council]

Naval and Military Precautions in the face of war...4th August 1914

South Eastern Gazette of 4th August 1914

Naval and Military Precautions in Kent

The defences of the Thames and Medway are quietly being put into a state of preparedness demanded by the tension in European affairs. The boom across the mouth of the Medway, as stated elsewhere, has been put in position, and orders have been issued for the regulation of the internal traffic of the port of Dover.

Late on Wednesday evening Marines went through Sheerness recalling all men on leave to duty afloat. The notice was read out from the stage of the Hippodrome, and search was made in the workmen's clubs for blue-jackets, whilst naval and marine officers were hunted up in their homes and lodgings ashore.

A night staff was also on duty in the Royal Dockyard. Since Thursday morning all tradesmen and officers' wives have been refused entry to the yard.

The Marine Town Railway Station at Sheerness was kept open all Wednesday night for the detraining of troops, and the railway station was kept under military guard.

At Dover all piers and docks are patrolled day and night. A special detachment of police arrived on Thursday from London to guard ordnance depots.

The 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers, full equipped, left Gravesend on Wednesday night for various points along the River Thames. They departed in patches by the down trains during the evening, and just before 12 (midnight) a large number of the Dublins, joined by the Royal Marines, and about 100 of the Kent (Fortress) Royal Engineers, under command of Lieut.-Colonel Gadd, left in a special train for the Sheerness district.

The Dublins took with them a large quantity of stores, ammunition and a machine gun. The Royal Marines' destination was Chatham, but the Dublins went to various parts of the Isle of Grain district, where there are not only forts, but Government stores and airship stations.

On Thursday a number of the Fusiliers were detailed for duty near the Rochester Bridge, on the S.E. and C. Railway.

The Essex Regiment, stationed at Chatham, was also taken to the Sheerness district, batches being dropped at intervals along the line.

Service men on leave, both soldiers and sailors, have been recalled, and even cricket matches have been interrupted and military concerts prematurely terminated in obedience to the military demands.

Under instructions from the owners British steamers bound to German ports were boarded on Sunday off Dover with orders to proceed instead to the Thames and Gravesend. The Calais and Ostend steamers arriving at Dover on Saturday night were crowded with passengers, the majority being English people who had shortened their Continental holidays. The steamers to the Continent are conveying hardly any English people, most of the passengers being Austrians, Germans and French. The Flushing steamer was very late in reaching Folkestone, and landed a large number of German and Dutch women and children, who have been sent to England for safety. On the arrival of the Belgian and French steamers in the mail and passenger services from Ostend and Calais, orders were given that the wireless installations should be put out of action and taken down. This work was promptly carried out alongside the admiralty Pier.

War Office officials were engaged in the neighbourhood of Maidstone on Saturday in choosing horses to be commandeered in case of emergency.

A Week Of Excitement In Faversham.

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald of 8th August 1914

On Sunday night [2nd August] there was a rumour that some telephone wires leading to the Cotton Powder Works had been cut, but this on careful enquiry was found to be untrue, the falling of the branch of a tree in the heavy wind having been responsible for the damage.

On Monday night [3rd August] there was intense excitement when the news leaked out that a German had been taken to the police station, he having been found on the Cotton Powder Company's works. It appears that this man has been staying in Faversham for the benefit of his health, and during the afternoon he went for a walk in the direction of Luddenham. Being a stranger he lost his way, and someone directed him to go through the works as the nearest way home. He was detained at the police station for some hours, but after making every possible enquiry the police were quite satisfied as to his bona fides and let him return to his lodgings.

A number of Grenadier Guards also arrived at Faversham Railway Station on Monday night, and were conveyed in motor cars to Uplees to guard the sea wall close to the Cotton Powder Works. Their arrival was witnessed by a large crowd of the townspeople.

Tuesday evening [4th August] provided another sensation, the police arresting a well-known local resident just as he was about to post some letters. He was taken to the police station and detained for about four hours, whilst his apartments were thoroughly searched for incriminating documents, but nothing was discovered to justify his detention, and he was subsequently allowed to go. It appears that the man in question acts as an enquiry agent into the financial position of tradesmen, etc., and the fact that he had dealings with a German firm in London had aroused suspicion.

The greatest scare of all, however, for the inhabitants, came on Wednesday night [5th August] about a quarter to ten, when everyone was startled by a tremendous report, which shook the houses and broke glass in places. Naturally a great many expected the worst and many females fainted, whilst men, though they tried to look unconcerned were all the time wondering what was coming next. Fortunately several people thought of the Cotton Powder Works, and looking in that direction saw a bright flash and smoke arising, and this allayed their fears to some extent. Cyclists and others were soon rushing off to the scene and it was not long before the news came back that some explosive gelatine in the gelatinising house had exploded through spontaneous combustion. Fortunately no one was in the building which was completely demolished, but considerable damage was done to other buildings in the vicinity, and three men, C. Taylor, J. Leonard, and A. Wells, who were at work in another building altogether were cut about by splinters of falling glass from a skylight which was shattered through the shock. Mrs. S.R. Alexander, H.P.O. Manning, F.W. Gange, and C.J. Evers were quickly on the scene in their motor cars, and having temporarily attended to the men had them removed to the Cottage Hospital for further treatment. Happily the men were not severely injured, and two of them were able to be discharged the next day. A Large crowd assembled outside the Hospital to witness the arrival of the injured, and it was nearly midnight before the street regained its usual quiet appearance.

The report was heard with great distinctness at Canterbury and Whitstable, and telephone messages were soon pouring in enquiring what had occurred.
The local boy scouts are engaged in guarding the telegraph wires, railway bridges, etc.

The local Voluntary Aid Detachment received a wire on Wednesday evening to prepare themselves for duty, and they are now busy preparing their equipment.


After the explosion a huge crowd assembled in the streets of Whitstable and colour was given to the rumour that there had been an engagement off the coast by the fact that earlier in the evening an airship was seen flying over the sea. It was, however, an English airship.
Mr Pink, landlord of the Duke of Cumberland Hotel, Whitstable, and Carmelo Longo, the Italian chauffeur to Mr. Robert Hichens, the famous novelist, who has a residence at Tankerton, had an unpleasant experience at Faversham on Wednesday night [5th August]. After hearing the explosion Mr. Pink accepted Mr. Longo's invitation to motor to Faversham to see where the explosion had taken place. Unfortunately they motored right up to the Cotton Powder Works and were soon in the hands of the military. The fact that Mr. Longo is an Italian and does not speak English perfectly made the position worse. The "captives" explained who they were and the military telephoned to the police at Whitstable police that they were not spies, Mr. Pink and Mr. Longo were allowed to proceed home.

Effects of an Explosion in Herne Bay

Herne Bay Press of 8th August 1914
A tremendous explosion was heard at Herne Bay on Wednesday night [5th August]. Houses an all parts of the town and district were shaken to their foundations. The full effect was felt at the Grand Pier Pavilion, where an entertainment was being given by Mr. Albert Chevalier. The floor seemed to heave, windows and doors rattled, and the building was jarred from end to end. The audience were a much alarmed, and some left the pavilion; but the majority kept their seats, while Mr. Chevalier calmly continued with his turn. It was thought to be the commencement of a Naval action off the coast, and some proceeded up the pier and strained their eyes out to sea. The effect in the town was remarkable. Thousands of people left their houses and places (of entertainment and hurried on to the Sea. Front, speculating as to the cause of the explosion. Later it was stated that an explosion had occurred in the nitroglycerine washing house of some guncotton works near Faversham. Four men were injured. The reason for the explosion is stated to be a stray bullet from the Isle of Sheppey.

Mobilisation (and the need for boots and shirts)

South Eastern Gazette of 11th August 1914
Faversham Territorial Artillery (Kent Heavy Battery), who would not in the ordinary way have returned from their annual training until Sunday last, arrived home on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday [5th August] afternoon they left for duty at a war station.
South Eastern Gazette of 15th August 1914.
The Commanding Officer of the Faversham Territorial Artillery (Kent Heavy Battery) has made an appeal for khaki-coloured shirts, and also money for the provision of boots for his men, who are now serving at war stations.

First British Loss - HMS Amphion

Dover Express of 7th August 1914

First British Loss. H.M.S. Amphion Sunk by Mine. 111 British and 20 German Prisoners Drowned.

The admiralty on Thursday [6th August] night at 10 p.m. officially announced that H.M.S. Amphion was sunk this morning, owing to striking a mine. Paymaster Gedge and 130 men were lost. The captain and 16 officers, and 135 men were saved. Including in those lost were 20 German prisoners.

H.M.S. Amphion which sunk the German mine layer Konigin Luise on Wednesday night [5th August], is a light cruiser attached to the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla. She is of 3,440 tons, 18,000 h.p., and has 10 four inch guns and four three-pounders. She is commanded by Capt. Cecil H. Fox. She was only commissioned at Devonport in April 1913."

Horses Requisitioned

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald of 8th August 1914
Large numbers of horses were commandeered in all towns yesterday [6th August]. Whitstable tradesmen had to part with several, while in Canterbury almost the whole equine population was called into the service of the military. Tradesmen's carts were stopped and the horses that passed the veterinary surgeon's examination were taken.


South Eastern Gazette of 11th August 1914
Sittingbourne. The Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles were mobilised at Canterbury on Thursday [6th August]The Sittingbourne Troop, after medical inspection, left on Thursday morning, at absolutely full strength.
Kent Messenger of 8th August 1914
The Territorials (4th Buffs) arrived home from Salisbury Plain on Wednesday morning, and left Sittingbourne on Thursday morning.

Kent Cyclist Battalion - Broadstairs training camp ordered to remain

Kent and Sussex Courier of 7th August 1914
The Kent Cyclist Battalion (5th Royal West Kent), who for the fortnight preceding Saturday were assembled at Broadstairs for their annual training, were ordered to remain, and are still encamped there. They number nearly 500....The men were appropriately engaged in coast defence operations during their training.

Lord Kitchener's Army - need for 100,000 new recruits

Dover Express of 14th August 1916
Kent and the War. Meeting at Maidstone. A meeting was convened at Maidstone on Monday by the Marquess Camden, Lord Lieutenant of Kent, to arrange for concerted action in the county to further Lord Kitchener's appeal for 100,000 recruits for the army and to arrange a Kent War Relief Fund.

Boy Scouts Called Up to Defence of the Home Front

South East Gazette of 11th August 1914
The following telegram has been received by Commander Garrett, the Kent County Secretary of the Boy Scouts: "Hope you can supply about 1,000 Scouts if required to guard culverts and telegraphs against spies, or run despatches, billet troops, collect and transport, etc. In your county, provided exemption from school and employment granted. If so, please communicate with your Chief Constable. Have informed War Office, Baden Powell. Measures to provide the 1,000 Kent Scouts asked for have been adopted.

A sombre mood - fete postponed

East Kent Gazette of 8th August 1914

GREENSTREET POSTPONED. The annual demonstration and fete in connection with the Greenstreet Cooperative Society should have taken place on Wednesday next [12th August]. The committee of the Society, however, in view of the outbreak of war and the state of national affairs, have decided to indefinitely postpone the function."

Territorial Artillery-men in need of clothing!

South Eastern Gazette of 15th August 1914

The Commanding Officer of the Faversham Territorial Artillery (Kent Heavy Battery) has made an appeal for khaki-coloured shirts, and also money for the provision of boots for his men, who are now serving at war stations.

Life and death continue among agricultural workers - John Robert Goodwin, Farmer in Cellar Hill

Born to a long-standing Lynsted family. Not related to Thomas Goodwin (bandsman) from Oare, of whom more later.

East Kent Gazette of 15th August 1914

LYNSTED. Accident to Mr. J.R. Goodwin. A very serious accident has befallen Mr. John Robert Goodwin, farmer, of Cellar Hill, Greenstreet. Mr. Goodwin, who is well advanced in years, was in a tree in his orchard at Cellar Hill on Wednesday afternoon [12th August 1914], when he overbalanced and fell to the ground injuring his spine and receiving nasty gashes on the back of the head, one of which necessitated several stitches. Messrs. Robert and Arthur Goodwin (sons of the injured man). Who are both ambulance men, were soon on the spot, together with Mr. Fred Dalton (another ambulance man), who conveyed Mr. Goodwin to his home, where he soon received medical attention from Dr. Selby. Mr Goodwin is going on as well as can be expected".
South Eastern Gazette of 25th August 1914
LYNSTED FARMER'S DEATH. Mr John R Goodwin, farmer, of Cellar Hill Farm, Lynsted, died on Sunday [18th August] from injuries he sustained through a fall from a tree in his orchard on the 12th inst. Deceased, who was 67 years of age, had farmed for some years at, Lynsted. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned at the inquest on Monday, and the jury expressed their deep sympathy with the widow and family".

The Association of Men of Kent and Kentish Men declare their support for Home Defence

South Eastern Gazette of 18th August 1914
Appeal to Men of Kent and Kentish Men. In a letter, signed by Mr. Edward Bennett, Chairman of the Council, and Mr. H. Thompson, Secretary, members of the Association of Men of Kent and Kentish Men are asked to render practical service at this time of our country's need. The letter states.-
There are several ways in which you can now assist:-
1.- By adding your name to the roll of special constables in the county or in London.
2.- By obtaining the services of as many volunteers as possible who have motor cars or motor cycles for patrol duty on the main roads of Kent for highly important service, particulars of which will be forwarded to those requiring same.
3.- By obtaining recruits for the Regular and Territorial Forces.
4.- By responding to the appeal of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales on behalf of the National Relief Fund.
Those who are able to assist in the directions indicated in Nos. 1 and 2 are asked to communicate at once with the Lieut-Colonel H.M.A. Warde, Chief Constable of Kent, Wren's Cross House, Maidstone.""
The Secretary has received the following letter from the private secretary of his Majesty the King:-
Dear Sir,- I have received and laid before the King your letter of yesterday's date, together with the copy of the letter which you are forwarding to over two thousand members of the Association of Men of Kent and Kentish Men. his Majesty read this letter with much satisfaction.

Teynham Arms - Conviction of Publican for allowing drunkenness on the premises

South Eastern Gazette of Tuesday 25th August 1914
Conviction Against a Licensee.
At the County Police Court on Thursday [20th August] (Captain Hooper presiding), Henry William Kemsley, licensee of the Teynham Arms beer house, Greenstreet, was summoned for permitting drunkenness on his licensed premises on July 27th. Mr. Byrne, of Sandwich, appeared for the defendant, who pleaded not guilty. It appeared that the police, paying a casual visit to the premises at 1.15 p.m. on July 27th, found a man named Harris drunk in the public bar. Defendant and his wife were both behind the bar. Harris was arrested, and the next day pleaded guilty before the Magistrates to being drunk on licensed premises. He was convicted. Having heard the defence in the present case the Magistrates were satisfied that defendant had failed to discharge the onus place on him to show that he and those he employed took all reasonable steps to prevent drunkenness on the premises. They fined defendant 20s., with 13s. costs, in default 14 days.

Mobilisation of Kentish Troops

East Kent Gazette of 22nd August 1914

Kentish Regiment for the Front.
The 1st Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment, will form part of the 5th Division of the Expeditionary Force for oversea service, and was under orders to sail from Dublin on Thursday. The Battalion has, by the addition of reservists, been brought up to full strength. Young soldiers of the Battalion will be temporarily transferred to the 3rd Reserve Battalion, and the 1st Battalion when it takes the field will be composed entirely of seasoned soldiers.
The 1st Battalion, East Kent Regiment, will form part of the 6th Division for oversea service, and has also been brought up to full strength.
The 4th Division, consisting of the troops from Chatham, Dover, Shorncliffe, and Gravesend, will, together with the 3rd Division at Salisbury Plain, for the 2nd Army Corps for oversea service."

Increasing home defence - Special Constables sworn in.

Herne Bay Press of 22nd August 1914
FAVERSHAM. Special Constables.- Over seventy special constables have been sworn in at Faversham. Many of the principal residents are among those acting.

Large losses lead to a second formal call for 100,000 new recruits to "The New Army" (Kitchener's Army)

At the outbreak of war when mobilisation of the British Expeditionary Forces was in full swing, the Prime Minister (Mr. Asquith) addressed the House of Commons (6th August 1914) on behalf of Lord Kitchener's call for recruitment of a new standing army made up of an additional 500,000 troops. Following the rapid loss of lives in these early weeks, Kitchener asked for a further 100,000 men (below).

"House of Lords - Debate on 28 August 1914 vol 17 cc549-51 549


My Lords, we learn to-day from Sir John French that in the fighting which took place between his Army and the enemy on Wednesday, and which it appears from the French official report was in the neighbourhood of Cambrai and Le Cateau, our troops were exposed to the attack of five German Army Corps, two Cavalry Divisions, and a reserve corps with the Guards Cavalry and the Second Cavalry Division. Our Second Army Corps and Fourth Division bore the brunt of the Cavalry attack, whilst our First Army Corps was attacked on the right and inflicted very heavy loss on the enemy. I regret to say that our casualties were heavy. Exact particulars are not yet known. The behaviour of the troops was in all respects admirable. General Joffre, in a message published this morning, has conveyed his congratulations and sincere thanks for the protection so effectively given by our Army to the French flank. In addition to the reinforcements that will shortly proceed from this country, the Government have decided that our Army in France shall be increased by two Divisions and a Cavalry Division, besides other troops, from India. The first Division of these troops is now on its way. I may add that all wastage in the Army in France is being immediately filled up, and that there are 12,000 men waiting for that purpose on the lines of communication."

Clearing up the mystery of George Edward Carlton, d.28th August 1914

Faversham and North East Kent News of 16th November 1916
George Edward Carlton died at sea during fighting off the Heligoland Bight while serving on "HMS Laurel". A casual reading of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) registration certificate gives his (ex)wife as next-of-kin, living in Teynham. However, at the time of his death, his marital home was in Lower Brents, Faversham. It was only latterly that his wife remarried and moved to Teynham. George's birth place was Worth (near Sandwich) and he appears on the Worth Memorial. Nevertheless, his story is included here partly to clear up any confusion over a link with Teynham and partly to illustrate the part played in his life by Eastry Workhouse.

Response to Lord Kitchener's call for recruiting a second "New Army" - Saturday, 29th August

South Eastern Gazette on 1st September 1914
FAVERSHAM. On Saturday evening a recruiting rally was held on the Market Place at Faversham, where there was a tremendous crowd and much enthusiasm prevailed. Spirited addresses on the nation's need of men were given by the Mayor (Dr. Alexander), Lord Harris, Mr. Granville Wheler, M.P., and Mr. F.H. Templar, of the National Service League. Each speaker concluded his address with an urgent appeal to young men present to come forward and enlist, and there were hearty cheers as responses were made. In all there were 30 volunteers.

29th August: Response in Kent Newspapers to the Second recruitment call for building up Kitchener's "New Army"

Herne Bay Express of 29th August 1914

The New Expeditionary Force.
A NEW BATTALION is being Raised.

Add to your Battle Honours of the Past:

Blenheim Douro Nive Taku Forts
Ramillies Talavera Orthes S.Africa 1879
Oudenarde Albuhera Toulouse Chitral
Malplaquet Vittoria Peninsula S.Africa 1900-02
Dettingen Pyrenees Punniaar Relief of Kimberley
Quadaloupe Neville Sevastopol Paardeberg

All Men between 19 and 30 should join at once

TERMS OF ENLISTMENT - For the duration of the War, with the option of claiming discharge after 3 years' service should the war last longer than that period.
Ex-Regular, Non-Com. Officers between the ages of 30 and 42 should report themselves to the Buffs' Depot, Canterbury, with a view to their being appointed in the new Expeditionary Force to the rank they held on discharge. Warrant Officers and Non-Comms, above the rank of Sergeant up to the age of 45 should also apply.
Ex-regular Privates between the ages of 30 and 42 will be enlisted for ONE YEAR or the Duration of the War.


Recruits will be fully dealt with at any of the following centres:


(a) The Buffs' Depot.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.


(b) The Guildhall.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.


(a) The Town Hall.


The Council Offices.


(b) Archcliffe Fort.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.


The Marine Depot.


The Town Hall.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.

Herne Bay

The Buffs' Drill Hall.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.


The Buffs' Drill Hall.

Your King and Country Need You

There is No Greater Honour than to serve your King.

ARTEFACTS - Background Records .......

ARTEFACT: Importance of Conyer and Teynham Rifle Range for Kent Territorials (1912)

House of Commons: Canterbury Rifle Range:
§ Mr. BENNETT-GOLDNEY asked the Secretary for War whether the rifle range of the Regular Troops and of the Territorial Force in Canterbury has been recently closed; and, if so, whether any further steps have been taken to obtain a more suitable range in another part of the county of Canterbury or in the adjacent county of Kent, where a safe range up to a distance of some 3,000 yards can be obtained?
§ Colonel SEELY. The 200 yards' range at Canterbury was closed in 1909, having been found unsafe for snap shooting, and a thirty yards' range was substituted. The Regular Troops stationed at Canterbury use the ranges at Hythe and Lydd, and the Territorials use those at Teynham and Ashford. It is probable that the establishment of a range safe up to 3,000 yards in Kent will be a matter of considerable difficulty.
(HC Debate 09 December 1912 vol 45 c67W)"

Conyer and Teynham Rifle Range illustration map

ARTEFACT: The Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) movement

Herne Bay Express of 14th March 1914
The Voluntary Aid Detachments of the 4th Kent Division will have a field practice day at Faversham on Easter Monday. The detachments of the 4th Division are Faversham and Doddington, Sittingbourne and Greenstreet, Boughton, Sheerness, together with the Teynham and Sittingbourne Women's Detachments. Herne Bay now has a Voluntary Aid Detachment.

ARTEFACT: Despatches: Opening Battles reported home to the Secretary of State for War

This early period of joining the French forces opposite the superior numbers of the German forces in the field was summarised in formal Despatches from J. D. P. FRENCH, Field-Marshal, Commander-in-Chief, British Forces in the Field dated 7th September 1914. Source: London Gazette

ARTEFACT: Declaration of War, Restrictions on Shipping, Restrictions on Trade in Sensitive Goods

Gazette Number 28861. SUPPLEMENT TO The London Gazette of TUESDAY, the 4th of AUGUST, 1914. WEDNESDAY, 5 AUGUST, 1914.

His Majesty's Government informed the German Government on August 4th, 1914, that, unless a satisfactory reply to the request of His Majesty's Government for an assurance that Germany would respect the neutrality of Belgium was received by midnight of that day, His Majesty's Government would feel bound to take all steps in their power to uphold that neutrality and the observance of a treaty to which Germany was as much a party as Great Britain.
The result of this communication having been that His Majesty's Ambassador at Berlin had to ask for his passports, His Majesty's Government have accordingly formally notified the German Government that a state of war exists between the two countries as from 11 p.m. to-day.

Foreign Office,
August 4th, 1914.
At the Court at Buckingham Palace. The 4th day of August, 1914.
PRESENT, The KING'S Most Excellent Majesty in Council.
HIS MAJESTY being mindful, now that a state of war exists between this Country and Germany, of the recognition accorded to the practice of granting "days of grace" to enemy merchant ships by the Convention relative to the Status of Enemy Merchant Ships at the Outbreak of Hostilities, signed at The Hague on the 18th October, 1907, and being desirous of lessening, so far as may be practicable, the injury caused by war to peaceful and unsuspecting commerce, is pleased, by and with the advice of His Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows :—

  1. From and after the publication of this Order no enemy merchant ship shall be allowed to depart, except in accordance with the provisions of this Order, from any British port or from any ports in any Native State in India, or in any of His Majesty's Protectorates, or in any State under His Majesty's protection or in Cyprus.
  2. In the event of one of His Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State being satisfied by information reaching him not later than midnight on Friday, the seventh day of August, that the treatment accorded to British merchant ships and their cargoes which at the date of the outbreak of hostilities were in the ports of the enemy or which subsequently entered them is not less favourable than the treatment accorded to enemy merchant ships by Articles 3 to 7 of this Order, he shall notify the Lords Commissioners of His Majesty's Treasury and the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty accordingly, and public notice thereof shall forthwith be given in the "London Gazette" and Articles 3 to 8 of this Order shall thereupon come into full force and effect.
  3. Subject to the provisions of this Order, enemy merchant ships which
    (i At the date of the outbreak of hostilities were in any port in which this Order applies; or
    (ii Cleared from their last port before the declaration of war, and, after the outbreak of hostilities, enter a port to which this Order applies, with no knowledge of the war :
    shall be allowed up till midnight (Greenwich mean time), on Friday, the fourteenth day of August, for loading or unloading their cargoes, and for departing from such port. Provided that such vessels shall not be allowed to ship any contraband of war, and any contraband of war already shipped on such vessels must be discharged.
  4. Enemy merchant ships which cleared from their last port before the declaration of war, and which with no knowledge of the war arrive at a port to which this Order applies after the expiry of the time allowed by Article 3 for loading or unloading cargo and for departing, and are permitted to enter, may be required to depart either immediately, or within such time as may be considered necessary by the Customs Officer of the port for the unloading of such cargo as they may be required or specially permitted to discharge.
    Provided that such vessels may, as a condition of being allowed to discharge cargo, be required to proceed to any other specified British port, and shall there be allowed such time for discharge as the Customs. Officer of that port may consider to be necessary.
    Provided also that, if any cargo on board such vessel is contraband of war or is requisitioned under Article 5 of this Order, she may be required before departure to discharge such cargo within such time as the Customs Officer of the port may consider to be necessary; or she may be required to proceed, if necessary under escort, to any other of the ports specified in Article 1 of this Order, and shall there discharge the contraband under the like conditions.
  5. His Majesty reserves the right recognised by the said Convention to requisition at any time subject to payment of compensation enemy cargo on board any vessel to which Articles 3 and 4 of this Order apply.
  6. The privileges accorded by Articles 3 and 4 are not to extend to cable ships, or to sea-going ships designed to carry oil fuel, or to ships whose tonnage exceeds 5,000 tons gross, or whose speed is 14 knots or over, regarding which the entries in Lloyd's Register shall be conclusive for the purposes of this Article. Such vessels will remain liable on adjudication by the Prize Court to detention during the period of the war, or to requisition, in accordance, in either case, with the Convention aforesaid. The said privileges will also not extend to merchant ships which show by their build that they are intended for conversion into warships, as such vessels are outside the scope of the said Convention, and are liable on adjudication by the Prize Court to condemnation as prize.
  7. Enemy merchant ships allowed to depart under Articles 3 and 4 will be provided with a pass indicating the port to which they are to proceed, and the route they are to follow.
  8. A merchant ship which, after receipt of such a pass, does not follow the, course indicated therein will be liable to capture.
  9. If no information reaches one of His Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State by the day and hour aforementioned to the effect that the treatment accorded to British merchant ships and their cargoes which were in the ports of the enemy at the date of the outbreak of hostilities, or which subsequently entered them, is, in his opinion, not less favourable than that accorded to enemy merchant ships by Articles 3 to 8 of this Order, every enemy merchant ship which, on the outbreak of hostilities, was in any port to which this Order applies, and also every enemy merchant ship which cleared from its last port before the declaration of war, but which, with no knowledge of the war, enters a port to which this Order applies, shall, together with the cargo on board thereof, be liable to capture, and shall be brought before the Prize Court forthwith for adjudication.
  10. In the event of information reaching one of His Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State that British merchant ships which cleared from their last port before the declaration of war, but are met with by the enemy at sea after the outbreak of hostilities, .are allowed to continue their voyage without interference with either the ship or the cargo, or after capture are released with or without proceedings for adjudication in the Prize Court, or are to be detained during the war or requisitioned in lieu of condemnation as prize, he shall notify the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty accordingly, and shall publish a notification thereof in the "London Gazette," and in that event, but not otherwise, enemy merchant ships which cleared from their last port before the declaration of war, and are captured after the outbreak of hostilities and brought before the Prize Courts for adjudication, shall be released or detained or requisitioned in such cases and upon such terms as may be directed in the said notification in the "London Gazette."
  11. Neutral cargo, other than contraband of war, on board an enemy merchant ship which is not allowed to depart from a port to which this Order applies, shall be released.
  12. In accordance with the- provisions of Chapter III of the Convention relative to certain Restrictions on the Exercise of the Right of Capture in Maritime War, signed at The Hague on the 18th October, 1907, an undertaking must, whether the merchant ship is allowed to depart or not, be given in writing by each of the officers and members of the crew of such vessel, who is of enemy nationality, that he will not, after the conclusion of the voyage for which the pass is issued, engage while hostilities last in any service connected with the operation of the war. If any such officer is of neutral nationality; an undertaking must be given in writing that he will not serve, after the conclusion of the voyage for which the pass is issued, on any enemy ship while hostilities last. No undertaking is to be required from members of the crew who are of neutral nationality.
    Officers or members of the crew declining to give the undertakings required by this Article will be detained as prisoners of war.
    And the Lords Commissioners of His Majesty's Treasury, the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, and each of His Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State, and all Governors, Officers, and Authorities whom it may concern are to give the necessary directions herein as to them may respectively appertain.


--- BY THE KING ---

WHEREAS a state of War exists between Us on the one hand and the German Empire on the other :
AND WHEREAS it is necessary to specify the articles which it is Our intention to treat as Contraband of War :
Now, THEREFORE, We do hereby Declare, by and with the advice of Our Privy Council, that during the continuance of the -War or until We do give further public notice the articles enumerated in Schedule I hereto will be treated as absolute contraband, and the articles enumerated in Schedule II hereto will be treated as conditional contraband:-

The following articles will be treated as absolute contraband:-

  1. Arms of all kinds, including arms for sporting purposes, and their distinctive component parts.
  2. Projectiles, charges, and cartridges of all. kinds, and their distinctive component parts.
  3. Powder and explosives specially prepared for use in war.
  4. Gun mountings, limber boxes, limbers, military waggons, field forges, and their distinctive component parts.
  5. Clothing and equipment of a distinctively military character.
  6. All kinds of harness of a distinctively military character.
  7. Saddle, draught, and pack animals suitable for use in war.
  8. Articles of camp equipment, and their distinctive component parts.
  9. Armour plates.
  10. Warships, including boats, and their distinctive component parts of such a nature that they can only be used on a vessel of war.
  11. Aeroplanes, airships, balloons, and aircraft of all kinds, and their component parts, together with accessories and articles recognisable as intended for use in connection with balloons and aircraft.
  12. Implements and apparatus designed exclusively for the manufacture of munitions of war, for the manufacture or repair of arms, or war material for use on land and sea.

The following articles will be treated as conditional contraband:

  1. Food-stuffs.
  2. Forage and grain, suitable for feeding animals.
  3. Clothing, fabrics for clothing, and boots and shoes, suitable for use in war.
  4. Gold and silver in coin or bullion; paper money.
  5. Vehicles of all kinds available for use m war, and their component parts.
  6. Vessels, craft and boats of all kinds; floating docks, parts of docks, and their component parts.
  7. Railway material, both fixed and rolling stock, and materials for telegraphs, wireless telegraphs, and telephones.
  8. Fuel; lubricants.
  9. Powder and explosives not specially prepared for use in war.
  10. Barbed wire, and implements for fixing and cutting the same.
  11. Horse-shoes and shoeing materials.
  12. Harness and saddlery.
  13. Field-glasses, telescopes, chronometers, and all kinds of nautical instruments.
    Given at Our Court at Buckingham Palace, this Fourth day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fourteen, and in the Fifth year of Our Reign.


IWM Partnership Programm  iconWorld War 1 Pages