Second World War - Lynsted Memorial Project

Edric Albert HUTTON (of Lynsted)

b. 29th August 1912
d. 8th June 1944. Aged 32

Warrant Officer (Wireless Operator/Air Gunner), Service Number 1281666
524 Squadron
Royal Air Force (Volunteer Reserve)

Lynsted War Memorial & Headcorn War Memorial
Lynsted Churchyard extension, Row J, Grave A
Killed in Action

Headstone for Edric (Eddie) Albert Hutton of LynstedEdric (known as Eddie) was born on 29 August 1912 , son of Edric Albert Sr and Bessie, née Collins. He was christened on 18 September 1912 in the parish church of St Alphage, Southwark, London.

At the time of 1939 Register census, Edric was living at "Elgar" in Oak Road, Hollingbourne, along with his wife of 2 years, Brenda Emily, née Breeden, and his son, Gordon. Edric was working as a plumber and serving in the Headcorn Fire Brigade.

Edric was part of the six man crew of Wellington bomber MF616 7R-A flown by 29 year old Flying Officer (Pilot), Thomas David. They had been detailed to carry out an anti E-Boat patrol over the English Channel at dawn on Thursday 8 June 1944. On returning from the mission, the pilot was instructed to divert to R.A.F. Chivenor, Barnstaple, Devon, due to ground mist. Against orders, the pilot attempted to land the Wellington back at its home station of R.A.F. Davidstow Moor, Camelford, Cornwall, where the squadron had been re-formed in R.A.F. Coastal Command on 7 April 1944. The aircraft struck a bank in a field approximately 500 yards from the touch down point and crashed, killing the entire crew. A crash tender was sent to the scene and began to fight the fire. A reserve tender had then arrived and began to run out the hoses. An explosion occurred in the aircraft 14 minutes after the fire started, and the crash tender was still at the scene fighting the fire. As a result of the explosion, eight persons on the ground were injured.

Headcorn MemorialA Court of Enquiry into the accident came to the conclusion that the pilot, by disobeying the orders of Flight Control was to blame for the crash. It also decided that "Cpl Lambert was over zealous in fighting the fire longer than four minutes, and Sgt Phillips on arrival should have ordered everyone to safety. Both did not comply with Station Fire Orders, and because of their disobedience, are held responsible for injuries to those on the ground."

At the time of Edric's death, his wife and son were living at Foxhunters, Erriotwood.

Edric is buried in Lynsted Churchyard extension. Grave Ref: Row J. Grave A.

In addition to the Lynsted War Memorial, Edric is also commemorated on the Headcorn War Memorial.

Edric's wife remarried in 1950. She died in 1988.

World War 2 Pages

IWM War and COnflict Subject Specialist Network Logo