1908-1909 Gazetteer - Lynsted and Greenstreet
Sittingbourne, Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne. ISBN 0-9507107-0-9
© COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
- LYNSTED - OVERVIEW - Directory Listing
- KINGSDOWN - OVERVIEW - Directory Listing
- TEYNHAM - OVERVIEW - Directory Listing for Greenstreet (North)
Lynsted is a populous village situated three-and-a-half miles south-east from Sittingbourne and a mile-and-a-half south-west from Teynham Station, on the S.E. & CR. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, Lathe of Scray, Teynham Hundred, and Faversham Union, Faversham County Court, and Faversham Petty Sessional Division. The area of the parish is 1,826 acres, the rateable value is £6,923, and the population at the census in 1901 was 1,215. The soil is mainly of the sort known as brick earth, and the subsoil is chalk. Fruit and hops form the chief crops, the celebrated Nouds orchards being situated mainly in this parish.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, and is of flint in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles. The tower has a somewhat lofty spire with a clock and five bells. The Church is large, containing 400 sittings, of which 250 are free. The registers date from the years 1654 (marriages and burials) and 1693 (baptisms). In the Church are monuments erected to the memory of members of the Hugeason, Teynham, Drurye, and Knatchbull families. There are also brasses to the Roper and Worley families. The living is a Vicarage, of the net yearly value of £210, with three acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The living has been held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Jackson Sewell, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. Lynsted parish is in the Rural Deanery of Ospringe, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Canterbury.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. William Roper Dixon, and the Overseers are Messrs. George Alfred Henry Smith and Thomas Back.
The Parish Council meets four times a year, or as often as is necessary, and is composed as follows :—The Rev. T. J. Sewell (chairman), and Messrs. C. Busbridge, J. Dence, B. B. Dixon, G. A. H. Smith, C. Seagers, and W. Kemp. Clerk, Mr. T. L. Ackermann.
Council Schools: These commodious Schools were erected in 1877, for 200 children, and were considerably enlarged in 1897, and the present buildings will accommodate over 300 children. There are about 230 children on the books. Headmaster, Thomas L. Ackermann. Assistant Teachers, Miss Hambrook, Miss M. E. Hunt (infant mistress), Miss Miles, and Miss White.
Parish Church: Rev. T. J. Sewell, M.A., Vicar. Churchwardens, Messrs, G. A. Filmer and G. A. H. Smith. Sidesmen, Messrs. C. R. Busbridge, B. R. Dixon, and W. White. Organist and Choirmaster, Mr. T. L. Ackermann. Parish Clerk and Sexton, Mr. Caleb Seagers. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. Children's Service, 3 p.m. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Holy Communion, first Sunday in the month at 11 a.m., third Sunday in the month at 10 a.m. Other Sundays at 8 a.m.
Wesleyan Church - [Extracted from "Teynham" entry] This place of worship was built in 1841 and enlarged in 1860. It now holds about 500 persons. Services are held on Sundays, 10.30 and 6 o'clock. The pulpit is filled by Mr. Trew, lay agent at Greenstreet, by the resident Wesleyan Ministers in the Faversham circuit, and by local preachers. Sunday School, 9.00 am, and 2.15 p.m. The Sunday School is situated in Lynsted Lane, Lynsted. Superintendent, Mr. W. Atkins. Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Meetings Sundays, 3 p.m. Band of Hope, Thursdays, 7 p.m. Superintendent, Mr. H. Watts. Christian Endeavour Society, Monday, 7 p.m. Class Meetings are led by Mr. W. H. Read (two classes), Mrs. Milieu, and Miss Gardiner. The Church officials are Society Stewards, Messrs. E. C. Milieu and F. Court; Poor Stewards, Messrs. W. A. Lucas and S. Read; Chapel Steward, Mrs. P. Carrier.]
St. John Ambulance Brigade (Greenstreet corps): [Extracted from "Teynham" entry] First Officer, George Peatfield; Sergeant, F. Dalton; Corporal, S. Read; Secretary, W. Ray; Storekeeper, F. Court. There are fifteen privates. The Corps possesses a wheeled litter, which is kept at Mr. W. E. Read's establishment. Drills and lectures as announced.
Greenstreet Rifle Club. President, Mr. J. F. Honeyball; Treasurer, Mr. S.George; Secretary, Mr. G. Potts, School House, Barrow Green, Teynham. Indoor range, Oasthouse, Railway Station; outdoor range, Sandown Hill, Barrow Green. Practice nights, Tuesdays and Fridays, or in summer as arranged.
Tariff Reform League (Greenstreet district branch): President, Mr. R Lake; Chairman, Mr. J. F. Honeyball; Treasurer, Mr. W. F. Wood; Secretary, Mr. A. E. Parris, Station Road, Teynham. The books of the Society show 75 members. The objects of the Society are to further the interests of the Tariff Reform Party in the Greenstreet district.
Greenstreet Associated Cricket, Cycle, Tennis, and Hockey Club President, Dr. P. D. Selby; Committee, Messrs. G. George, M. Dixon, W. Ray, P. French, M. Dalton, H. V. Wildash, E. Millen, H. George, and J. Dunn, Miss A. George, Mrs. Wright, Mrs. Atkins, and Mrs. Cleaver. Treasurer, Mr. W. Atkins; Captains, Mr. A. Lavars (cycle), Mr. W. S. Wood (cricket), Mrs. Selby and .Mr. W. S. Wood (hockey); Vice-Captains, Messrs. H. French and A. Wilkins (cycle), B. Dixon, and A. Parris (cricket), and B. Dixon, A. Parris, and Mrs. Parris (hockey); Secretary, Mr. C. W. Foster, Station Road, Teynham; Assistant Secretary, Mr. E. Rossiter, Greenstreet. The headquarters of the club arc at the Dover Castle Inn, and the hockey matches and tennis are played at Newgardens. Hockey matches are arranged on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Gentlemen's, ladies', or mixed teams can be played.]
George Inn Hand-and-Heart Benefit Society: George Inn, Greenstreet, Lynsted. Benefits for sickness, and death with share-out in December. Meeting nights, first Tuesday in the month. Membership, 70. Secretary, John Ruck, Station Road, Teynham.
Greenstreet Death Club: Headquarters, George Inn, Greenstreet. Benefits in case of the death of children with share-out in December. Club nights, every third Wednesday. Membership, 220 persons. Secretary, John Webb, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
Swan Benefit Club: Held at the Swan Inn, Greenstreet, Lynsted. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Membership, about 50 persons. Club night, first Monday in the month. Secretary, Mr. Alfred P. Challender, Cherry Gardens, Lynsted.
Dover Castle Benefit Society: Held at the Dover Castle Inn, Green-street. Benefits in the event of death or sickness with share-out in December. The membership numbers about 100 persons. Meeting nights, every fourth Tuesday. Secretary, George Bullock, Church Road, Teynham.
Dover Castle Burial Club: Held at the Dover Castle Inn, Greenstreet. Benefits in case of death of members' children. The membership numbers about 110 members. Club night, every third Monday. Secretary, Walter Tumber, Mount Pleasant, Greenstreet, Teynham.
Fox Inn Hand-in-Hand Society: [Extracted for Greenstreet] Headquarters, Fox Inn, Greenstreet, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness or death, with share-out in December. There are fifty members of the society. Club nights, first Monday in the month. Secretary, George Jeffrey, Frognall Lane, Teynham.
Teynham Arms Hand-in-Hand Club: Headquarters, Teynham Arms, Greenstreet, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with shareout in December. Membership, about 50 persons. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, Walter Wiles, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
National Deposit Friendly Society [Extracted from "Teynham"] (Teynham district): Chairman, Mr. W.R. Dixon. Committee Messrs. J. F. Honeyball, A. Banks, H. Buddle, H. Cage, H. Champ, P. C. French, T. Harvey, C. Hopper, W. G. Nicholls, G. Peatfield, J. S. Read, H. Smith, and A. Wilkins. District Secretary, George Rogers, Station Road, Teynham. The membership numbers about 280, and the meeting nights are held monthly.]
Foxhunters Hand-in-Hand Friendly Society: Held at the Foxhunters Inn, Erriott Wood, Lynsted. Benefits in eases of sickness and death with share-out in December. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Membership, about 40 persons. Secretary, T. Styles, Teynham Peat, Teynham.
Kingsdown and District Sparrow and Rat Club: The objects of this Society are to prevent the abnormal prevalence of various pests. Headquarters, Foxhunters Inn, Erriott Wood, Lynsted. Meetings are held on the first Wednesday in the month from October till April (open season). Secretary, A. A. Rye, Malthouse Cottages, Erriott Wood, Lynsted.
Greenstreet and District Gardeners' Society: Headquarters, Dover Castle Inn, Greenstreet, Lynsted. Monthly meetings and shows held at the Dover Castle Assembly Room, with annual show in August. President, Dr. P. D. Selby. Chairman, Mr. E. Oxford. Secretary, Mr. E. Kingsnorth, Rose Villa, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
St. John Ambulance Brigade - see Teynham.
Greenstreet Rifle Club - see Teynham.
Associated Greenstreet and District Cycle, Cricket, and Hockey Clubs— see Teynham.
Carrier, George Shepherd, of Newington, between Chatham and Faversham. Passes through Greenstreet every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
Postal Arrangements: Lynsted Sub-Post Office, Street, Lynsted (Mr. Ernest Alfred Bensted, Sub-Postmaster). Stamps, postal orders, money orders, telegraph, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Deliveries, 7 a-in. and 1.45 p.m. Sundays, 7 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 10.25 a.m. and 6.35 p.m. Sundays, 12.15 p.m.
Greenstreet Sub-Post Office—see Teynham. [EXTRACT: Postal Arrangements: Greenstreet Sub-Post Office, Greenstreet, Teynham (Sub-Postmistress, Mrs. A. S. Read). Stamps, postal orders, money orders, telegraph, telegraph money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Deliveries. 7 a.m., 130 p.m., and 7 p.m. Sundays, 7 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 10.40 am., 11.45 am., 6.45 p.m., and 8.10 p.m. Sundays, 12.15 p.m.
Kingsdown is the smallest parish in the Milton Union. It is situated four miles south from Sittingbourne, and is 24 miles from Teynham Station, on the S.E. & C.R. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the Lathe of Scray, and Union and Hundred of Milton. It is in the County Court district of Sittingbourne and the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division. In acreage it is 703.971 in extent, and possesses 24 miles of district roads. The population in 1901 was 73, and it is estimated to be about the same at the present time. The soil is very good for agricultural purposes, and the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are hops and fruit, with a fair number of acres of cereals.
The late Baron Kingsdown (the Right Hon. Thomas Leigh Pemberton, P.C., Q.C.) took his title from this parish on August 28th, 1858. Lord Kingsdown died unmarried on October 7th, 1867, and the title became extinct.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Catherine, and is in the Early English style. The present Church is a somewhat imposing edifice, built with Kentish rag and dressing of Bath stone. It was erected on the site of the former Parish Church in 1865 at the expense of the late Lord Kingsdown. Mr. E. W. Pugin was the architect. It has a tower containing two bells and bearing a lofty spire. There are 100 sittings in the Church, and the register dates from the year 1560. The living is a Rectory, with the yearly value of £150 with residence and eighteen acres of glebe. The living, which is in the gift of Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, of Warwick Square, London, has been held since 1856 by the Rev. Houstoune James Hordern, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Sir E. L. Pemberton is Lord of the Manor and the principal landowner in the parish. Kingsdown is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. Richard Cooper, and the Overseers are Messrs. William Farmer and James Spicer.
Parish Church Rev. H. J. Hordern, M.A., Rector. Parish Clerk, William Kennard. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There are no schools in the parish.
Kingsdown and District Sparrow and Rat club—see Lynsted.
Postal Arrangements There is no Post Office in the parish. There is one delivery a day, morning at 7 o'clock, from the Sittingbourne Post Office. Wall letter box in Kingsdown Street is cleared each day, 7.15 a.m. and 5.35 p.m., and on Sundays at 11.5 a.m. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Greenstreet, two miles distant to the north-east.
Teynham is an important industrial and agricultural parish situated three miles east of Sittingbourne and four-and-a-half miles from Faversham. It possesses a station on the SE. & C.R. and is about 43 miles from London. The parish is large, covering all the district between the London-road and the River Swale. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary division, the uppcr division of the Lathe of Scray, the Teynham Hundred, the Faversham Union, the Faversham Petty Sessional division, and the Faversham County Court district. The area of the parish is 2,472 acres together with 279 acres of fore-shore, and 115 of water and tidal water. The rateable value is £12,851, and the population at the last census (1901) was 1,839, but this number has been considerably increased since that time, a number of new houses having been built. Near the Swale are large brickworks engaged in the manufacture of the machine-made stock brick. The cement mills at Conyer are now closed. The southern part of the parish is mainly devoted to agriculture, the principal crops being corn and hops with the produce of some famous orchards. Near the Swale is a large tract of land known as the Teynham Level. This is devoted solely to the raising of sheep and cattle. At one time these marshes were not properly drained, and malaria was prevalent in the parish; so much so that Teynham became known as an unhealthy place. Since the draining of the marshes, carried out under the direction of a Coin- mission formed for the purpose (and who have powers to levy a scot) the village has become quite healthy. The principal landowners in the parish are Messrs. R. Mercer (Rodmersham) and R. Lake (Newlands). Lieut.-Colonel Charles John Roper Tyler is Lord of the Manor.
Historically Teynham is a very ancient place, and is mentioned as having been the town in which Archbishops resided in early times. Kenulf, King of Mercia, who reigned between the years 794 and 819, gave the place to Christ Church, Canterbury, and afterwards a palace was built in the village or town as it was known then. Archbishop Baldwin (1184-91), Hubert Walter (1193-1207), Langton (1207-29), and Raynold (1313-28) in turn lived at Teynham. Archbishop Stratford in 1345 entertained King Edward III. at Teynham, and King Henry III. granted the town the right to hold a market and fair. Richard Harrys, a fruiterer to Henry VIII., lived at Teynham, and he planted 105 acres of land with cherries and apples that he had obtained from abroad, and thus the village is one of the earliest in which the cherry was grown in Kent.
The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is built in the form of a cross, and is of flint in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. The tower contains six bells. There are several handsome stained glass windows. There are also a number of brasses in fair condition in the Church. In 1873 the spacious chancel was restored. The registers date from the year 1538, and the sittings in the Church number 300, of which 200 are free. The living is a Vicarage of the net yearly value of £240, with residence, and is in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. It has been held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward James Corbould, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Ospringe and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Canterbury.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. H. P. Bensted, and the Overseers are Messrs. W. R. Dixon and W. Atkins.
Parish Council: The Parish Council meets four times a year, or as often as necessary. The Council is composed as follows -
* Messrs. J. P. Honeyball (chairman),
* W. Hunt (vice-chairman),
* W. Atkins,
* W. French,
* S. Read,
* S. B. Streetfield,
* W. H. Read,
* W. Gibbs, and
* A. E. Parris.
* The Clerk is Mr. R. S. Dunn, of South Road, Faversham.
There are several small charities existing in the parish. Lake's Charity brings in a sum of shout £8 per annum, which is devoted to providing coal and clothing to necessitous persons. Other charities bring in about £4 per annum, which is generally distributed in kind. The charities are managed by the following gentlemen:- The Rev. E. J. Corbould, and Messrs. R. Lake, W. R. Dixon, J. F. Honeyball, and W. Atkins.
Births and Deaths Registry: Mr. S. George is registrar of births and deaths for the Teynham sub-district, which comprises the parishes of Teynham, Lynsted, Norton, Newnham, Doddington, Eastling, Stalisfield, Buckland, and Luddenham. Mr. George is also collector of King's taxes for tbe Teynham district.
Parish Church: Rev. E. J. Corbould, M.A., Vicar; Rev. H. Newman, M.A., Curate. Churchwardens, Messrs. R. Lake and W. R. Dixon. Services are held on Sundays at 11 am. and 3 p.m. Holy Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday in the month after morning service, and on the third Sunday in the month at 8 a.m. Children's service, second Sunday in the month at 3 p.m. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
St. Andrew's Church: Service is held at this Church every Sunday evening at 6.30 p.m. Holy Communion every second and fourth Sunday in the month at 8 a.m.
Wesleyan Church: This place of worship was built in 1841 and enlarged in 1860. It now holds about 500 persons. Services are held on Sundays, 10.30 and 6 o'clock. The pulpit is filled by Mr. Trew, lay agent at Greenstreet, by the resident Wesleyan Ministers in the Faversham circuit, and by local preachers. Sunday School, 9.30 am, and 2.15 p.m. The Sunday School is situated in Lynsted Lane, Lynsted. Superintendent, Mr. W. Atkins. Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Meetings Sundays, 3 p.m. Band of Hope, Thursdays, 7 p.m. Superintendent, Mr. H. Watts. Christian Endeavour Society, Monday, 7 p.m. Class Meetings are led by Mr. W. R. Read (two classes), Mrs. Millen, and Miss Gardiner. The Church officials are Society Stewards, Messrs. E. C. Millen and F. Court; Poor Stewards, Messrs. W. A. Lucas and S. Read; Chapel Steward, Mrs. P. Carrier.
United Methodist Church: This Church is situated in Teynham Street. Services are held on Sundays at 2.30 p.m. and 6 p.m
Salvation Army - see Lynsted.
Conyer Mission Church: This iron building is opened on Sundays at 10 a.m. for the purposes of Sunday School.
Barrow Green National Schools: These Schools were erected in 1849, and have been enlarged from time to time (1872, 1884, and 1905). The buildings provide accommodation for about 450 children, and there are about 420 children on the books, including 120 infants. The staff is as follows:- Mr. George Potts (headmaster), Mrs. Potts (headmistress, girls' department), Miss L. Pounds (headmistress, infants' department), Mr. P. J. Collins, Miss C. Willson, Mrs. Beard, Miss M. French, Miss Nest, Mr. A. Gates, Miss Ethel Burrows, Miss A. Crippen, and Miss B. Tomlin. The Board of School Managers meets once in six weeks, and is composed as follows :- Rev. E. J. Corbould (chairman and correspondent), and Messrs. R. Lake, W. R. Dixon, W. Atkins, J. F. Honeyball, and R. M. Mercer.
National Deposit Friendly Society (Teynham district): Chairman, Mr. W. R. Dixon. Committee: Messrs. J. F. Honeyball, A. Banks, H. Buddle, H. Cage, H. Champ, P. C. French, T. Harvey, C. Hopper, W. G. Nicholls, G. Peatfield, J. S. Read, H. Smith, and A. Wilkins. District Secretary, George Rogers, Station Road, Teynham. The membership numbers about 280, and the meeting nights are held monthly.
Kent Co-operative Brickmaking Society: This Society was formed in Nov. 2nd, 1892, with works at Frognal, Teynham. Share capital (nominal), £5,000. Directors: Messrs. J. F. Honeyball (chairman), R. Powell, J. T. Cashman, H. Smith, and J. French, Secretary, Mr. W. S. M. Cowper. No profits have been made by the Society for several seasons, and no bricks were made at all during 1907.
St. John Ambulance Brigade (Greenstreet corps) First Officer, George Peatfield; Sergeant, F. Dalton; Corporal, S. Read; Secretary, W. Ray; Storekeeper, F. Court. There are fifteen privates. The Corps possesses a wheeled litter, which is kept at Mr. W B.. Read's establishment. Drills and lectures as announced.
Greenstreet Rifle Club. President, Mr. J. F. Honeyball; Treasurer, Mr. S. George; Secretary, Mr. G. Potts, School House, Barrow Green, Teynham. Indoor range, Oasthouse, Railway Station; outdoor range, Sandown Hill, Barrow Green. Practice nights, Tuesdays and Fridays, or in summer as arranged.
Tariff Reform League (Greenstreet district branch) President, Mr. R. Lake; Chairman, Mr. J. F. Honeyball; Treasurer, Mr. W. F. Wood; Secretary, Mr. A. E. Parris, Station Road, Teynham. The books of the Society show 75 members. The objects of the Society are to further the interests of the Tariff Reform Party in the Greenstreet district.
Greenstreet Associated Cricket, Cycle, Tennis, and Hockey Club President, Dr. P. P. Selby; Committee, Messrs. G. George, M. Dixon, W. Ray, P. French, M. Dalton, H. V. Wildash, E. Millen, H. George, and J. Dunn, Miss A. George, Mrs. Wright, Mrs. Atkins, and Mrs. Cleaver. ; Treasurer, Mr. W. Atkins; Captains, Mr. A. Lavars (cycle), Mr. W. S. Wood (cricket), Mrs. Selby and Mr. W. S. Wood (hockey); Vice-Captains, Messrs. R. French and A. Wilkins (cycle), B. Dixon and A. Parris (cricket), and B. Dixon, A. Parris, and Mrs. Parris (hockey); Secretary, Mr. C. W. Foster, Station Road, Teynham; Assistant Secretary, Mr. E. Rossiter, Greenstreet. The headquarters of the club are at the Dover Castle Inn, and the hockey matches and tennis are played at Newgardens. Hockey matches are arranged on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Gentelmen's, ladies', or mixed teams can be played.
Teynham Goal-Running Club Headquarters, Railway Inn, Lower Road, Teynham; Ground, Newgardens. This club since its formation in 1900 has each year won the champion bannerette in a competition known as the Faversham and District Goal-Running Competition, which is open to East Kent. They have also won four silver cups and two other banners at Maidstone and other places, and are generally considered to be the finest exponents of the game in the county. President, Dr. P. D. Selby; Chairman, Mr. Trigg; Committee, Messrs. J. Kadwell, F. Austin, C. Sattin, J. Hopkins, H. Radley, W. Tumber, G. Gilbert, J. Sattin, and A. Boorman; Captain, T. Pilcher; Vice-Captain, A. Boorman; Treasurer, E. Perkess. Secretary, F. Austin.
Teynham Football Club: Headquarters, Railway Inn; Ground, New-gardens. Members of the Sittingbourne and District League (second division). Secretary, Mr. W. Winterton, Teynham.
Greenstreet Gardeners' Society - see Lynsted. - see Milton.
Fox Inn Hand-in-Hand Society Headquarters, Fox Inn, Greenstreet, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness or death, with share-out in December. There are fifty members of the society. Club nights, first Monday in the month. Secretary, George Jeffrey, Frognall Lane, Teynham.
Teynham Arms Hand-in-Hand Club Headquarters, Teynham Arms, Greenstreet, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share- out in December. Membership, about 50 persons. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, Walter Wiles, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
Ship Inn Share-Out Benefit Club: Held at the Ship Inn, Quay, Conyer, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Membership numbers forty. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, A. Beacon, Conyer, Teynham.
Brunswick Arms Hand-in-Hand Benefit Society Held at the Brunswick Arms, Conyer, Teynham. Benefits for sickness and death with share-out in December. Membership numbers about sixty persons. Club nights, every alternate Monday. Secretary, G. Morgan, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
Ship Inn Death Club: Headquarters, Ship Inn, Quay, Conyer, Teynham. Benefits in cases of death among members, their wives, and children. Club nights, every third Wednesday. Membership, 75 persons. Secretary, E. L. Beacon, Conyer.
Greenstreet Co-operative Hand-in-Hand Benefit Society: Meeting nights, every fourth Saturday. Membership, 25 persons. Secretary, G. Batchelor, Greenstreet, Teynham.
Railway Inn Hand-in-Hand Benefit Club: Held at the Railway Tavern, Lower Road, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Membership, about fifty persons. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, H. Lawrence, Barrow Green, Teynham.
Railway Tavern Death Club: Headquarters, Railway Tavern, Lower Road, Teynham. Benefits in case of death of members, their wives, or children. Membership, about 150 persons. Secretary, P. Baker, Teynham.
Lucerne Street Benefit Society: Held at the Plough Inn, Lucerne Street, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Club nights, first Monday in every month. Membership, about 130 members. Secretary, J. Button, Greenstreet.
Conyer Shooting Range: This range, fitted with two movable targets, is situated on the marshes at Conyer, Teynham. Shooting can take place at ranges up to 1,000 yards. It is used for practice, class firing, and ompetitions by Volunteers, Yeomanry, and Army Reserve men.
Social Club: A club for men and youths is held nightly at the Anchor Coffee Tavern, Station Road, Teynham, during the winter months.
Postal Arrangements: Greenstreet Sub-Post Office, Greenstreet, Teynham (Sub-Postmistress, Mrs. A. S. Read). Stamps, postal orders, money orders, telegraph, telegraph money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Deliveries, 7 a.m., 1.30 p.m., and 7 p.m. Sundays, 7 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 10.40 a.m., 11.45 a.m., 6.45 p.m., and 8.10 p.m. Sundays, 12.15 p.m.
Lucerne Street Sub-Post-Office - see Norton.
Bogle Lane from Lynsted Lane
Florence Cottages - RUCK Edward
Florence Cottages - SMITH Henry
Bumpit - HICKS James
Bumpit - HANDFORD Thomas
Bumpit - UNDERHILL Robert
Tenacre - LA FEAVER Charles
Here is Nouds Lane and Tickham
Cellar Hill from Greenstreet
East Side - RAYNER Augustus Leopold
- READ John
- GATES John
Cellar Hill Farm - GOODWIN John Robert
- HARRIS William
Cambridge - DALTON Frederick William
- NANKIVELL James
Here is Lynsted Lane
1 HARRIS Sydney Frank
3 HOMEWOOD John
4 COOK Alfred George
5 BLACK George
6 CHAMP Mrs Esther
7 KADWILL Joseph (junior)
8 HAMMOND Joseph
BALDOCK Mrs Alice
Cherry Gardens - CHALLENDER Alfred
- HANDFORD Thomas
Erriott Wood from Kingsdown Road
STREATFIELD - Thomas
Holly Tree Cottage - SMITH Charles
- FOSTER Stephen
St. Christopher - SHERLOCK Charles
The Greys - COURT Valentine
The Greys - COURT William
Greys Cottage - LEEK Stephen Henry George
Foxhunters Inn - PACKMAN Robert
Here is Ludgate Road
RYE Edward - Carpenter
Continuation in Kingsdown Road
Greenstreet, from Cellar Hill
The Walnuts - LEES William
Here is Cellar Hill
JOHNSON Richard Daniel
PEENE James - General Smith
RAY George - Florist
Mount House - DIXON Bridges Richard
WILDASH Henry John Vivian
SKEATES Charles Brett
The Grange - FILMER George Alfred
Dover Castle Inn - CURRY Henry Walter
BRICE Henry - Confectioner
CHEESEMAN William - Bootmaker
JEMMETT Edward Charles
REEVES Frederick - Bootmaker
BASHFORD Edward - Coachbuilder
TREW Alfred - Wesleyan Lay agent
WATTS Henry James - Plumber
WATTS Mrs Frances
ROGERS Emily - Shopkeeper
DRURY Mrs Sarah
WILKINS Ernest Walter - Butcher
RADLEY Henry Charles
COURT Frederick - Tailor
CARRIER Henry Julius
CARRIER Mrs Elizabeth - Shopkeeper
GAGE Mrs Emma Jane - Shopkeeper
WOODFINE John Thomas
AUSTIN Mrs Frances - Stationer and Haberdasher
FRENCH James - Farmer
Melrose - EGAN Mrs Kate
Here is Lynsted Lane
George Inn - BROAD William Henry
GILBERT Abraham - Confectioner
Swan Inn - STOCK Robert Walter
TRIGG Arthur - Jobmaster
FILMER Frank Blackman - Butcher
Greenstreet Co-operative Society (Furnishings Department)
HANDCOCK Edward Frank - Jeweller
CRUTTENDEN Mrs A - Manageress
BARTLETT William Henry - Fishmonger
MORGAN George - Tobacconist
COLE Henry - Dentist
EVERARD Thomas - Market Gardner
PIPER Albert Edward - Police Constable
READ George Edward
DENCE John James - Cycle Agent
PACKMAN Edward William
TRIGG Walter - Shopkeeper and Chimney Sweep
FERRELL William (junior)
KEMP William Ernest - Saddler
Ivy Cottage - PREST Mrs
Ivy Cottage - BOORMAN Arthur
The Hollies - HOY Dr
JOHNSON Richard Vince
Maltilda Cottage - CHEESEMAN Mrs Matilda Elizabeth
DUNN James - Butcher
EGAN Francis George Clifford
ATTAWAY Mrs Elizabeth - Laundress
Lynsted House - DUNN James
Harcourt Cottages - PEATFIELD Alfred
Harcourt Cottages - NICHOLLS Ernest
HADLOW Charles - Cycle Manufacturer
Salvation Army Barracks
ALDRICK Mrs Matilda
FRENCH James - Butcher
NICHOLLS Alfred William - Shopkeeper
NICHOLLS Mrs Hannah
TOWN Mrs Ann
BURTON Charles Archibald
NEEVES Charles Loftus
NEEVES Thomas William
DIPROSE Mrs Elizabeth
WRAIGHT Mrs Martha Emily
Ethelbert House - BROWN George
BUNTING Edward George
WILES Walter Edward
WILES William Henry
Here is Mill Lane
MILLEN Edward Charles - Farmer
Continuation is Bapchild
Kingsdown Road from Lynsted Street
Lynsted Park - PILCHER Henry
Lynsted Lodge - COBBOLD H.M.C.
Collyers Farm - CULVER Edward
Dadmans - KANE The Hon. Mrs
Yew Tree Cottage - BOOTS George
CULVER William John
BOOTS John William
Here is Homestall Road
Lower Tickham from Nouds Lane
BRUNGER Mrs Sophia
Tickham Farm - BARLING Edward Henry
Continuation in Upper Tickham
Ludgate Road from Lynsted Street
SMITH Francis Albert
SEAGER - Mrs Mary
SEAGARS James Caleb
COE Mrs Fanny
DENCE John James
Whitehall - MOUNT Clayton
Ludgate Farm - PEPPER Ernest
Ludgate Farm - GAMBRILL David
Here is Errriott Wood
Lynsted Lane from Greenstreet
WILKINS Miss Annie
KEELER Mrs Emma
Rose House - LAVARS William Alfred
Greenstreet Wesleyan Sunday School
CARRIER Frederick - Picture Frame Maker and Apiarist
Lynsted Collegiate School - HOUGHTON Miss Edith
Lynsted Collegiate School - SYMOND Miss Bertha
Holly Bank - WIGG Thomas
Holly Bank - DUNHAM Mrs Mary
Orchard House - GEORGE George Wood - Builder
Bogle - KEMP George
Bogle - ANDREWS James
Bogle - NORMAN Mrs Jane
Barkeley House - SMITH G. A. H.
Walnut Tree Cottages
HALL Thomas William
WILLETT Mrs Matilda
Here is a Road to Cellar Hill
Malt House Cottages
BARNEY Arthur George
Here is a Road to Tickham
Bogle Farm - COX Albert
Lynsted Council Schools
School House - ACKERMAN Thomas Lumbly - Headmaster
Continuation in Lynsted Street
Lynsted Street from Lynsted Lane
The Vicarage - SEWELL Rev ThomasJackson - Vicar
EDMEADES Henry Richard
Post Office - BENSTED Ernest Alfred - Sub Postmaster
BENSTED Ernest Alfred - Stationer
Hillside - BLACK Thomas
Japico House - SNASHALL R. Waghorn
BUSBRIDGE Charles Robert - Blacksmith and Farrier
BUSBRIDGE Miss - Shopkeeper
Ivy Cottage - TURVEY Arthur
Aymers' Lodge - WHITE William
Aymers - VALLANCE Mrs Catherine
Black Lion Inn - WARWOOD William James
Here is Ludgate Road
TOLHURST Frederick John
BAKER Mrs Jane
PORTER Herbert - Grocer and Butcher
BOYCE Mrs Charlotte
Continuation in Kingsdown Road
Nouds Lane from London Road
Nouds Cottage - COLLINS John
Newhouse - SMITH Alfred Frederick
Newhouse - DOWLE George
Nouds - MACDONOUGH George Mark Watson
Bishops Orchard - PILCHER William
Bishops Orchard - KEMSLEY Charles
Bishops Orchard - STOWERS Mrs Susan Maria
Oast House - BARLING Miss Harriett
Oast House - RIDLEY Mrs Jane
Here is Bogle Lane and Tickham
Mill Lane from London Road
Mill Cottage - TAYLOR Percy Richard
Sundries Farm - CROUCHER Mrs Allen
Sundries Farm - STUDHAM Edward
Batteries Cottage - SNASHALL Richard H
The Old Windmill
Continuation in Lynsted Street
Upper Tickham from Lower Tickham
Loyterton - McDOUGALL Herbert
Loyterton - MOUNT Frederick
SPILLETT Henry - Bailiff
Here is Homestall Road
Church Road from Dungate
The Rectory - HORDEN Rev Houstonne James
Continuation a path to Doddington
Kingsdown Road from Milsted
Kingsdown Wood - O'ROUKE Sidney
Kingsdown Wood - CHAMP Mrs Mary
TRICE Richard (senior)
Here is a Road to Mincing Wood
Continuation is Doddington
Mincing Wood from Kingsdown Road
PORTER Richard Alfred
Continuation is Rodmersham
The Street from Dungate
Hales Street Farm - FARMER William Reginald
Street Farm - RUSSELL William
Continuation is Erriott Wood and Doddington
White Hall - BROWN Mrs Anne Maria
White Hall - HOOKER Mrs Ann Hills
Filmer's Cottages - ISTED Joseph
Filmer's Cottages - MACKLIN William
Brusson Cottage - HALES George William
Brusson - SELBY Dr Prideaux George
St Andrew's Mission Church
WILDASH Charles Frederick (junior)
BAKER Arthur Ernest
CATT Alfred Henry
LYONS Thomas Henry
WATSON F.R - Police Constable
ANDREWS Alfred Henry
Mount Pleasant Nurseries - RAY & Co Messrs - Nurserymen
RAY William George
TRIGG William - Coachbuilder
RYE William - Cycle Manufacturer
Here is Station Road
Teynham Arms P. House - HOLLAND William
POST James - Hairdresser
LOTT Mrs Mercy
MILLS William George
KITE Mrs Maria
Rose Inn - MUSHAM John
Vine House - RUSSELL Thomas Charles
SMITH Frank - Antique Furniture Dealer
HALL Mrs Jane
HILLS Charles - Hairdresser
REED & SONS - Grocer
Post Office - STANLEY John - Sub Postmaster
Coldwell & Co - GIBBS William George - Manager of Chemist Shop
ATKINS William - Outfitter and Draper
Greenstreet Co-operative Society Ltd - LAVARS W.A. - Managing Secretary
TRIGG Mrs Elizabeth
GAMBELL James William Richard - Baker
GEORGE Stephen - Registrar of Birth Marriages and Deaths, Collector of Taxes
GEORGE S & G - Builders and Undertakers
BOLTON Charles - Blacksmith
CARRIER Jesse - Watchmaker
TREVORROW Thomas - Ensign Salvation Army
LILLIE Alfred Edward - Corn Dealer
LAW Frederick Samuel - Painter
NEEVES James Albert
WILDASH J. H. - Builders
WILDASH John Henry - Builder
WILDASH Charles Frederick (senior)
Elizabeth Cottages - BRAY Alfred Henry
Elizabeth Cottages - CHEESEMAN Daniel
SMEED George William
ROWE James (senior)
EGAN Brothers - Coachbuilders
BROWN Mrs Sarah
READ Richard John
Fox Inn - BROAD Walter [Closed and converted to flats in 2007]
Here is Frognall Lane