Forge Cottage, The Street, Lynsted
In recent living memory, the door to Forge Cottage was nearly always open, sometimes with David Bage standing in it. At other times the open door was used by dogs from the village that always knew David to be their friend too - occasionally, David would close the door, return to his sittingroom only to find Charlie, the much loved and missed dog of a near neighbour, curled up in front of the fire. Many villagers pass the cottage with echoes of David's generous contribution to the village and parish - including being one of the founder members of this Society. David died on 19 October 2010. David documented many of his memories.
Kent Historic Environment Record (H.E.R.): Forge Cottage
HER Number: TQ 96 SW 1088
FORGE COTTAGE AND THE OLD FORGE ADJACENT
Grade II listed building 1069312. Main construction periods 1700 to 1799
Grid Reference: TQ 94285 60803
House. C18. Painted brick on ground floor with weatherboard on first floor and plain tiled roof. Lobby entry plan. Two storeys and basement expressed as plinth. Roof stepped down to left end bay, a later addition, and stack to centre right. Four 2 light wood casements on first floor with small stair light to centre right, and three 3-light casements on ground floor, with central half-glazed door with flight of 4 steps. Attached to right the old forge, now garage; painted brick, plain tiled hipped roof with stack to rear, with 2 wood casements and garage doors at end right.
Listing NGR: TQ9428760808
Sources and further reading
--- Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.